Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Fall Fair!

Labour Day weekend was the annual Fall Fair here, and we had a nice visit there over lunch, which was delicious roast beef sandwiches..  We even met a few people we knew, including one of my caregivers and her family.  And I got the approval of the Farm Safety Association as I rode around with my orange hat and flag.  

The first exhibit I noticed was the full-size bed quilts on the far wall.  This is the most beautiful of the quilts, a large piece embroidered with flowers.

Quite close, on a table was the rug hooking exhibit.  Since my aunt was an enthusiastic rug hooker, I stopped to take a close look.

There were lots of flowers on display, and I thought this was one of the nicest.

I think this must have been the most misshapen vegetable contest!

But down the table there were lots of veggies, these the onions, garlic, and tomatoes.

A closer look at some prize-winning tomatoes.

There were lots of crafts, this snowy owl one of the best.

There was a big photography display, a contest I once entered at the Markdale Fall Fair.

And more flowers.

And two antique tractors, outside by the fire truck and kids playground.


17 comments:

  1. Love the fall fairs. Thanks for the visit to this one. Heirloom tomatoes by the look of it. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those vegetable judging contests are so subjective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love festivals like this one. it is so nice to see you have so much appreciation of the quilts, hooked rugs and crafts!! tomatoes are a favorite of mine and these look pretty darn awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tractors kept in beautiful shining condition, even to hear them start would be a reminder of days long gone.Those gladioli, the growers must stake the plants so well to get tall straight stems. What a delight to be there and see all those funny shapes on veges and even tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like going to these festivals too. We always went to the Woodbridge fair when I was a kid.
    I had a cucumber this year that curled into a donut shape - it could have been in that contest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hooray for fall fairs. You must have had a grand time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your visit looks like a great thing to do. I like seeing all that goes on at your fall fairs. Flowers and tractors were fun to see.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fairs and festivals are so fun. Nice tho have them back after Covid shutdowns caused issues. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful quilt. So nice to visit the fair with you. :)
    I made many a hooked rug some 40 years ago!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Roast Beef Sandwiches get my attention every time. And I think that misshapen vegetable is a UFO. (Unidentified Fair Object) And where's the picture of the Gnome with his orange hat and flag??:))

    ReplyDelete
  11. That quilt is indeed outstanding. Very interesting looking potato, I think you're right about the contest it was in.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those two tractors are both unfamiliar to me, but I enjoyed seeing them. Good to see all the crafts and vegetables too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful fair, and your photos take me right in there with you. That quilt is so beautiful! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think it is wonderful that the farm fairs continue to be held. The quilt is stunning, and way more work than I would ever want to tackle. Seeing the gladiolas brings back memories of my mom as she grew them every year.
    Thanks for taking us along!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a nice Fair! Those glads are beautiful as is the produce and that Quilt is a work of art!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't been to a fall fair since I was a teenager.

    ReplyDelete