Monday, September 4, 2023

Continuing Our Drive to Conn

We pick up our drive to Conn at our favourite point, the drive through a mile of woods just west of Hopeville.  We always enjoy this bit of being lost in the forest, just one concession after the church at Swinton Park.  But first, what we saw in that concession.

On the left as we drove south was a field where the wheat had been harvested and now the straw had been raked into windrows for bailing.  The intermediate step, spreading the straw out to dry in the sun, is often called 'tedding', a term we learned watching the 'Veggie Boys' on You Tube.

On the other side of the road was an enormous new barn, complete with circular liquid manure pit out front on the left.  You can still see the old barn standing beside the tree in front of the silos..

Then we were into the woods, our favourite bit of the drive.  With no homes on the entire concession, winter snowplowing is set aside and the trees flourish right out to the road.

Looking out one side we could see the large round bales of straw, following the wheat harvest.

In the field on the other side they were growing corn.

And along the roadside once it became more open again Mrs. F.G. got out and nabbed pictures of the beautiful White Asters.

And not too far away, a few blooms of New England Aster, one of my favourite fall wildflowers.  There used to be a healthy patch of them just a block from our house, but I fear that monstrous ditch trimmer may have done them in!



15 comments:

  1. Hay tedding is what we called it way back in the 1940's and 50's. Turning the cut grass over to dry, into neat rows,before the baling. Hoping it did not rain. You have some stunning drives to travel on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not much better than a drive on a road through the forest where the edges aren't manicured.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty! I enjoyed accompanying you on this fun drive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such pretty photos along your way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I do so enjoy being among the trees. That would be what I miss the most from moving to the prairie from the northern part of Saskatchewan.
    The asters are lovely too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful drive through the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The parts of that drive that you love, I love on my way to Williamsford. It is Baseline Road along the golf course. Funny you mention Swinton Park. The retired police officer and her husband live there - I'd never heard of it before and had to look it up on the map!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I well know the enjoyment of getting lost on forest drives in the country. I like those Asters. For some reason, Asters remind me of my early childhood school days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fall is a great time of year to get out for a tour.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The aster are so pretty this time of year. I love that road through the trees too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The road through the woods like a tunnel must be amazing. Everything is still so very lush and green.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can see why you like the woods! Lovely greens.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a wonder place to visit. I really like the tree lined roads that look like that. I am watering my aster to keep it alive so it will bloom. I was born in the country near a small town of Hopeville, Iowa.

    ReplyDelete