Monday, October 31, 2022

The Hostas are Gone

 The Hostas are gone.  I know this fact will not interest you in the least, since you do not have hostas outside your window!  But perhaps there is something else in your own yard or neighbourhood that you use as a beacon of the changing seasons.  For me, the two huge hostas outside our living room window where I sit every morning while finishing my coffee are a huge part of the changing seasons.

This is my up close view.  The hostas are already changing their colours to yellow.  The stake in the foregroud is an old Milkweed stem.

A few days later the colour has faded almost completely to yellow.  There are actually eight hosta plants within my view, but all of them except the two very big ones are hidden from my view in summer behind or underneath the leaves of these two.  You can see a few pale stems of one of them in the upper right.

I chose the two most obvious leaves right in front of my eyes for comparison.  Here is the first pair.

And this is the second.  After this Mrs. F.G. and our gardener had a clean-up day and clipped them all off.  In all cases, this is the change in 24 hours.

I was left with just this, all to soon to be covered with that white stuff!  A comment in the last post suggested leaving the leaves on the garden.  In fact we do, we have done no raking yet.  Next week our gardener will return to rake and mulch the leaves on the grass, and then they will be added to the garden too.  In fact he may rake and mulch a few leaves on the closest part of the golf course (they are our leaves after all) and add those in addition.

I should add that Mrs. F.G. has put enormous effort into enriching the soil in our garden.  She uses a number of amendments, from alfalfa pellets to worm castings.  She uses no chemical fertilizers.  

******

APOLOGIES!

I have to apologize for not leaving many comments when I visit your blogs.  google is upset with me these days and will often not let me sign in when trying to leaves comments.  Sorry, I will remedy this as soon as I can!

13 comments:

  1. Hostas don't like the cold and give up the ghost quite readily!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our hostess have lost the colour now. Time to do the trimming here too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least they'll be back again next year. :) Mrs FG does so much work in the garden and it certainly shows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My hostas ontinued to bloom into September, but like yours there is little left of them now. I actually wait until spring to cut them back - I figure they give the rabbits something to eat. Though I suspect they prefer the bush that I put in 12 years ago that hasn't grown to more than 18 inches. It's branches are always chewed off by spring. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post on hostas. My hostas aren't doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know fall has arrived when hosts change colour, mine turned by the third week of September. Of course we were farther north than you.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our hostas have been mush for a few days now. And the landscape looks desolate for the most part.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The hosta leaves are perfect for doing thread quilting, take a photo, make 4 copies, separate off a quarter each time, print each 1/4 onto printable fabric, join together, back the piece and use a darning foot and free motion stitch. I did mine in a class, with a mauve tibouchina flower, but those hosta leaves are a great way to showcase the finished item. Our hostas have good leaves, but a lot of holes already, the snails or slugs have had a good feed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your hosta leaves are beautiful as they fade, ours are still green. Soon frosts will kill all our sensitive plants, the begonias and any others that aren't hardy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, the days are getting much shorter and the nights longer. On Sunday we will go back to standard time for awhile, and around here the sun will set by 4:30!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is the geraniums in my window box that I miss. They are still going strong now and will like the warmer weather this week. I replace them with pine branches for winter but it is not the same.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The deer got most of my hostas. I don't begrudge them, at all. My last hosta just wilted in the frost!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A lovely transition. Blogger seems to be having many issues these days.

    ReplyDelete