Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Happy Thanksgiving - A Day Late!

Yesterday was Thanksgiving Day here in Canada, and it is a time to be thankful.  In the United States it was Columbus Day or Indigenous Peoples Day, depending on which side of the colonization argument you fall and which state you live in   At this time of year I like to think about all the things I am thankful for, so here are a few, along with some more fall colour.

I am thankful:

- that I am still alive and able to enjoy life,

- for my amazing wife who cares for me, altogether too seriously,

- for my larger family whose love keeps me going,

- for my local caregivers who make my life at home possible.

- for that altogether all too brief season of fall colour which we are enjoying now,

- for summer and the chance to get outside around town,

- for winter and the projects that make months spent indoors tolerable,

- for this house and the view out back which makes my life interesting every day,

- for my wheelchair which is my escape vehicle from just lying in bed,

- for my physiotherapists who keep my paralyzed body functioning, 

- for the various librarians, bank tellers, coffee servers and others who are always so kind and helpful when I do get downtown.

Poor Mrs. F.G. has been suffering the after effects of the Shingrix vaccine we got on Friday, sore arm, dizziness and exhaustion.  Hopefully she will be over that soon.  My laptop battery died as I was typing  this yesterday, hence it is a day late!



14 comments:

  1. The Shingrix Vaccination was a hard one for me too, but way better than Shingles! I hope she feels better soon. Your leaves are lovely and your list of things to be thankful for is a long one...you are blessed with a wonderful wife!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think as I get older, or " AGE" as one bright doctor told me, I am more thankful for many more things in my life than when I was younger.Those leaves are a bright colour, reminding us of the changing seasons that happen without our care or work, and you have a very impressive list of thanks. Mrs F.G., I am guessing you get thanks the same as I do from Hugh, who has mentioned to the doctors several times he couldn't manage without me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Monday was also National Mental Health Day! Your list of wonderful things that you are grateful for is also so very delightful to read. I would also like to add your virtual family, many of us who love you, to the list. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many wonderful things to be thankful for.
    Beautiful colors.
    Hope Mrs FG is feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope your Thanksgiving was a great one, FG. Love those autumn colours. Hope Mrs. FG is feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's so much to be thankful for. I hope Mrs FG feels better very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's good to stop once in a while and think about how good things are.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That’s pretty inspirational considering your challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great list of things for which to be thankful. Those of us who consider ourselves your blogging friends are thankful you're still blogging. We're also thankful for Mrs. F.G. and her care for you and hope she's back to feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is a good list that shows you are very aware of all who makes it all work for you. The positives do help fight the negatives. I appreciate your blogs. I hope your wife feels better from that shot. All of our covid shots were so miserable with its side effects.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lovely post, so much to be thankful for.
    Sending good wishes to you both and hoping Mrs FG feels better soon after her injection.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. A truly impressive well thought out list. I'm thankful you are still blogging:))

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bless you for meeting lifes challenges with such spirit. The kindness you get is a reflection of who you are.

    ReplyDelete