Saturday, September 10, 2022

Queen Elizabeth

I only saw Queen Elizabeth once, when I was 9.  It was their first tour of Canada after her coronation, and my mother took me to Stratford where fans lined both sides of the road to the Stratford Festival.  I have no doubt my aunt was there too; they were both admirers of the Queen.  I had my first camera, and managed to snap a picture of the Queen in her limousine as they drove slowly by.  After that my interest only grew.

Her death was certainly expected at some point - she was 96 - but it still brought a small tear to my eyes, for her family, for her thousands of UK fans and for fans around the world.  However after a brief moment of sadness, my thoughts turned to thanks.  The Queen was a woman who gave herself in service for over 70 years.  She was dedicated, thoughtful, hard-working and had a great sense of humour.  What's not to love and respect.



This recent cartoon symbolizes so much to me.  It's at Balmoral obviously in my mind, it shows her love of the outdoors and dogs (and horses), and above all it shows Philip at her side.  It reflects the famous picture of them having a picnic, sitting on a blanket, high in the hills.  The ballroom where she still lies at rest is the only room inside the castle open to the public.  We've been to Balmoral, so I can picture it clearly.  

Thank you Queen Elizabeth, for your long years of service, for being an example to so many, for your love of the outdoors, and for simply being such a nice person!


6 comments:

  1. I didn't think her passing would be so hard for me, but it brings to my heart a perfectly good reason to cry as much as I feel like it. Thank you, Your Majesty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a change for many! Hard to remember King not Queen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My thoughts about the Queen are as yours exactly. Who knows, maybe you and I were standing side by side in that crowd that thronged the streets in Stratford; all those many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so amazing that she is the only Queen of England that most of us have known.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely tribute to her. This evening as I watched the never ending line waiting to file by her casket...I wonder if she knew how many would want to pay their respects...and if she knew I bet she would have said that she should drive by them instead:)

    ReplyDelete