Sunday, September 4, 2022

Harbour Visits

It's been nearly three months since I took you down to the harbour.  I haven't actually been down there as much this year, 'cause there always seems to be an onshore breeze leaving me feeling chilly - Georgian Bay being Georgian Bay.   But the times I have gone down I've been intrigued with the Sailing School known as 'Sail Georgian Bay'.  It's a premier sailing school that attracts students from across Ontario and runs 8 weeks every summer.

They've got their own building and dock in the inner harbour, with a fleet of boats for teaching.  

When I get down there (usually after lunch), they're headed out for a sail on the bay.  Students all get their boat ready and leave the dock.

Soon there aren't many left dockside and it only takes a slight breeze to get them moving.

They're headed toward the harbour opening beyond the left of the photo, and ready for a sail on the bay.

If you look closely you'll see that there are two students per boat.

On another day I was down the shore a short distance to see the first two boats pass the breakwall, almost in open water.

And behind them come the rest, open water on the left.

I wonder how many of them will develop a love of sailing and end up with their own boat someday in the future.

Once I wandered down to the gravel beach at the end, to find this large rock holding down the wheelchair access.

I took a closer look at the coarsely-ridged bark of this big tree as I turned around, and realized it was a huge Cottonwood!

Weather has changed here, with a much cooler day today than yesterday.  Fall is definitely in the air!

13 comments:

  1. Those sailboats are sweet little things...without anything but a paddle to go in a direction the wind wouldn't take them! Good sailors must be the main result of the class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've been away and not doing our normal blog readings, so didn't know about the covid. Really glad to hear and see you've recovered!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely post and photographs.
    Here in the UK our nights are getting darker much earlier and there is a cooler feel in the air.
    I do enjoy the Autumn season.

    Take care.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sailing school, a safe calm place to start, and then into the open waters when more confidence is there. Two per boat, a great way to begin. Autumn in your areas, here there is a cold snap, snow in the south and north of us, rain in many places again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like it would be fun to take sailing lessons. Nice pictures! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I only wish I'd had more opportunity when younger to experience water. I have a fear that would keep me from sailing now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That must be a pricey summer camp.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love to be on the water and some of my favorite times were on catamarans and then there was the sailing ship in New England...so much fun. I can't imagine sailing in a small boat though and with only one other person.
    What a shame someone felt the need to put a rock in the way. I'm sure that didn't make access any easier. :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the shots of the boats, FG. The look like freedom to me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Even though I've only done it a few times, sailing is fun. Our grandson-in-law sails a lot and has been in races in Great Britain, oh to be young again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those colorful little sailboats are but butterflies upon the water.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those colorful little sailboats are but butterfly wings upon the water.

    ReplyDelete