Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Our Garden is Still Going Strong!

Remarkably enough for this time of September, our garden is still very colourful and full of interesting flowers in bloom.  The Zinnias are the backbone of it, but a lot of other flowers are contributing.  I especially love the Fall Anemones, the first photo below, a flower we had at our last house.

The colour of the Fall Anemones is beautiful; it seems very peaceful to me. 

Even the faded Echinacea are still adding some nice colour.

One I haven't talked about for several years (since we were in our last house) is this Ligularia.  I often mistakenly refer to it as Elephant Ears because of its big leaves, but that's a tropical plant with truly enormous leaves.

The Ligularia blooms at this time of year, and adds a dash of bright yellow/orange to the back of the garden.  The actual blooms seem rather chaotic.

We even have a Day Lily that is still stubbornly blooming.

But it's the bright red  Zinnias that are making the garden sparkle these days, scattered through the garden.  You know I like bright colours, so I'm encouraging Mrs. F.G. to grow more of these next year.

We don't just have red Zinnias though; these white and pink ones are among the most interesting of the others.  There are a wide variety of Zinnias, with the single-petalled ones being best for pollinators, but the double-petalled ones being most popular.

And the swath of bright flowers in front of me as I turn onto the patio at the bottom of the ramp is particularly appealing for colour, though they're not all Zinnias.  But it's the colour, the fall blooms and the open flowers for pollinators that appeal to me.

We also have numerous 3-4 foot high stems of Verbena, which the bees absolutely love.

The many stems of Cleome in bloom currently are still my favourite.

The neighbours kindly contribute a beautiful rich blue Morning Glory facing our direction.  My grandparents had one just the same



15 comments:

  1. I am enjoying seeing what the fall flowers look like on my friends' posts. These are truly wonderful, FG.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the red zinnias most of all!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your flowers are doing so great. I like fall weather as long is it keeps things growing and not stopping the blooms. Our drought took out our cone flowers so I have dead stems like it is winter. Your garden photos have been so great all season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is my favourite colour of Morning Glories. You make me think that I should plant some zinnias next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty! Mrs. F.G. certainly has a green thumb. I especially like the pink and white zinnias. We may have our first frost overnight so I expect I'll be pulling my annuals soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought I had sown blue Morning Glories but it seems I didn't. Mine were lovely but all were purple. Next year I'll try again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely post! Yes, the cleome is spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So impressive. We cleaned up whatever is in the front last week by deadheading the echinacea and emptying the pots of petunias. The pots put back were still looking grand, but the rains came and they took a beating. Just as they were being restored, they took another beating. I don’t think they will come back to much this time, especially with yet another storm forecasted for later today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don’t have any colour in my garden currently. Thank you for sharing yours! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, how I wish we had the sunshine and the know how to grow lovely colorful flowers like you folks do.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your flowers look lovely :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful and colorful flowers. Our garden is fading rapidly now with only one perennial and the annuals blooming as the days grow shorter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. the garden "is" still looking beautiful!! i too...still have a lot of flowers blooming!! your neighbors morning glory is so pretty, i wonder if they would share a piece of it with you? i love sharing pieces of my garden with neighbors!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Because you said you were interested, here is the link to the discussion of Constitutional Monarchy https://themsmysentiments.blogspot.com/2022/09/peace-order-and-usually-okay-government.html

    ReplyDelete