Friday, December 17, 2021

Ride Down Nelson St. West

Back on Nov. 8th, I rode down Nelson St. West.  I'd been avoiding that ride for several months, because I just got fed up with the construction on Nelson St. leaving bits of gravel scattered across the street.  But construction is finished and they hired a paving company that actually knew what they were doing, so that part is ok.  And I told myself that I still needed to ride down here once this fall, since I used to enjoy it so much, even though there's a lot of poor 'alligator pavement' on this part of the street.

This beautiful older Victorian home was sold during the summer and has been under renovation since.  It's one of my favourite among the older homes.

Just look at this little wrought iron railing around this tiny upstairs balcony.

And the panes in this tiny upper triangular window in the right-hand dormer.  Classic Victorian architecture.

Much further down the street I'm always impressed by this patch of Hydrangea, now weathered brown but still beautiful.

The street is ultimately 'L' shaped, but the other angle of the 'L' was built much more recently, and is frankly, rather boring!

But I admire this very functional workshop built in the backyard of the corner home by a carpenter who needs a place to make furniture.  I've spoken to him in the past, but I haven't seen him this year.

The big four Sugar Maples in front of one big home on my way back are still looking healthy.  That's a yellow ribbon around the 4th tree.

Sorry about the positioning of this hydro pole - couldn't be much worse, could it!  But the big White Pine behind it is beautiful.

Sadly these 3 big old Sugar Maples have been trimmed demonically into 'halftrees' by the hydro people.

The little stream valley at the beginning of the street is looking good, and it was here that I photographed a cluster of Silver Maple leaves.

Heading back I rode down the section of Nelson St. that had been under construction, smooth as a pancake.  The construction only dug up a trench down the right-hand side of the street, but thankfully they paved the entire street.  Well done.

Today is a crazy 8°C and sunny all day.  Beautiful, but strange for mid-December!




 

21 comments:

  1. A lovely drive round the street, love that top window, the leadlight? is so like the quilt block called " Cathedral Windows" and all the trees turning colours, here our small maples have green leaves now, a few weeks ago were bare branches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty photos. The way those trees are trimmed doesn't look safe. Too much weight on one side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That new part of Nelson St must be a treat for you to ride on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So often utility poles are exactly where we don't want them. The pine is lovely but the half-trees do look strange. Your temperatures sure are mild!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like that older house in the first shots! That was a nice ride that you took us on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful looking workshop, unless they already have something similar most craftspeople would like something similar -- I certainly would. That's quite the butcher-job on those sugar maple; down here the line clearance crews often top the trees -- I don't know which is worse, but both are BAD.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lets hope that majestic maple isn't tagged for removal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The half trees are so sad looking. People need to plant boulevard trees, trees that don't ever reach the power lines. That first house is just darling, I wouldn't step out on that balcony but maybe it is just for looks...I know some times they are called widows walks but maybe they are larger:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that Victorian house too.
    We've had some warm days here too for this time of year. Makes me wonder what next month has in store for us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed seeing your photographs.
    That is a nice looking Victorian house in your first few photographs.
    My good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the old Victorian homes. Sadly, they seem to be taken down here for infill.

    Plus 8C? I'll trade you - it's currently -23C and heading to -39C by morning. Brrr!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What I liked best was the fact all your photos were on a nice warmer Autumn day with lots of colors along your way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, I really enjoyed reading your post, and hope to read more. thank you so much for sharing this informative blog.
    ស្លតកាស៊ីណូអនឡាញ
    Dragon Tiger

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is a nice tour of the town. I like the style of the Victorian farm house. I owned a house similar to that previously. Warm weather caused us to have 11 tornadoes in our state.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A nice tour of a pretty street. We have a lot less electricity poles in England in built up areas, which is a mixed blessing as it also means that the streets are dug up more frequently to fix problems - and they don't always patch up their work very artistically.

    ReplyDelete
  16. that is such a pretty victorian home, i think i have seen it here in the past. when construction crews dig a trench like you described, they are suppose to pave the entire road when they are done. not all companies do, but they are suppose to!! a nice ride for you now!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The 8 and sunny sounds wonderful. All of our snow is gone again! Strange indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's been unseasonably warm in Virginia too. I love the little dormer window and the yellow leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete