Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Highlights of 2021

It's become a tradition for me to look back over my blog posts for the year and pick out the highlights from each month.  These aren't necessarily the best photos, but they represent highlights of our life together, things we can look back on and be pleased about.

Every year for a while now we have gone in search of Snowy Owls, and we did again last January, driving around the countryside NE of Paisley - successfully I might add.  It was Jan 6th, and I will never forget it because I checked my phone for some reason, probably to check the map, and saw that people were storming the Capitol in Washington.  The world has never been the same!

During the winter I started reading about the Arctic, and I learned a great deal.  I posted about the early explorers, about the search for Franklin's ships, and about the amazing work done by Parks Canada in finding those two ships.  I also learned that local traditional knowledge played a big part in our understanding of that mythical history. 

In reading about the Arctic I also learned about the Arctic communities and all the limitations they face.  The enormous and fast shift from a traditional lifestyle into settled communities is the story of the Arctic over the past 70 years.  Those communities depend heavily on the annual 'sealift' for their year's supplies - of everything!

In March or April we go hunting for Sandhill Cranes, which are among the early birds to arrive back from migration.  This photo is from an earlier year, and later in the season, but Sandhill Cranes searching, in both spring and fall, has become a regular part of our year.

And a little later in the spring I spotted a Fox sitting out on the golf course.  Over the next 5 months or so we watched it (there were actually a pair) come and go, and then appear with a litter of three kits!  It was our most interesting wildlife sighting since moving here.

I can't pick out the highlights without touching on the amazing garden Mrs. F.G has created with her green thumb.  This rich red Clematis is only one of many flowers that bloomed, starting in early spring.

And a little later in the summer all our Day Lilies come into bloom.  This is one I can get really close to, but it's only one of about 15 different varieties.

The patio that Mrs. F.G. spearheaded, designed and planted an entirely new garden around has certainly brought a summertime transformation to my life.  I can ride down there easily and get close to a lot of different plants, watching their growth over the season and taking just as much pleasure in it as does Mrs. F.G.

More highlights tomorrow; meanwhile the house is smelling of turkey today!  (I wrote this on Christmas Day some hours before our turkey dinner!)


















19 comments:

  1. Wonderful and magical pictures! Thank you so much for sharing this once again. I feel very uplifted in simply looking at these. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a fun idea to look back on the years through your photos. It is so nice to see the flower shots on another grey day like we are having.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always good to look back on the highlights of the last year and perhaps even the highlights of a long life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Clematis and that gorgeous Day Lily, all add to the garden that has grown in size and beauty since you moved there. Turkey, hope it tasted as good as the smells that came from the kitchen. Happy New Year to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In many it has been a year of sorrow, but your photos remind us of the small joys in our lives. Thanks for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is nice to look back at old posts and photographs.

    Happy New Year Wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoyed looking back over the year with you. Love the snowy owl picture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea to post highlights for each month.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The owl and the cranes are my favourites!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like how you pick topics to research and blog about. the northern posts were very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. such wonderful highlights...the snowy owl was my favorite. the daylily was a very close second!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A nice varied selection of highlights. I'd like to sit out on that patio once all the plants are flowering.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great undertaking and theme! I am quite impressed by this overview.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A nice journey down memory lane with a handful of fine photos to boot.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love hearing about your wildlife sightings, especially the snowy owl! I'd love to see one someday.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the snowy owl photo. Your explores teach me alot too. The red clematis is so wonderful. I remember it. I had one similar and it died. I don't remember seeing the access route to the patio before but that is wonderful. It looks inviting for all people and I really like your back yard view.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really appreciate your professional approach.These are pieces of very useful information that will be of great use for me in future.
    SEXY BACCARAT
    GDG Gaming

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a nice garden path! I would enjoy sitting out there!

    ReplyDelete