Tuesday, December 21, 2021

'Midwinter' - The Winter Solstice

I don't know if any of you are like me, but for me the winter solstice - TODAY - is the most important of the four astronomical events that mark our seasons, two equinoxes and two solstices.  I hardly notice the equinoxes passing by, which isn`t surprising considering that the days are fairly equal then anyway.  Nor do I notice the summer solstice on June 21st either, because the days are then longer than I`m up anyway.

But winter solstice I do notice.  It`s the relief of the days suddenly starting to get longer, and I find that noticeable even within the first week or two.  It`s not `midwinter` of course, because there`s a lag in the seasons as we experience them compared to the astronomical events, and the main winter season is yet to be enjoyed here in southern Ontario.  But it`s a promise that spring is on its way, and that gets me through the two short winter months.

The promise of spring has been with us for thousands of years.  At the winter solstice the expanding darkness started to retreat as the light won the battle and expanded through until summer, bringing warmth and the ability to harvest plants and wildlife.  Maeshowe (above), one of the greatest burial mounds in the world, was built on Orkney about 5000 years ago.  Its entry passageway is aligned with the setting sun on the winter solstice.

We`ve been there (above) and seen the incredible stone workmanship that went into building this enormous chambered cairn.  It pre-dates the pyramids in Egypt, and is built of flat slabs of sandstone that you can`t even slip a sheet of paper between today.  How did they do it!  And how did they know which direction faced the setting sun on the 21st of December!

Of course we weren`t there on the winter solstice, but visiting it and learning about its astronomical alignment opened my eyes to the importance of the winter solstice marking the most welcome change of seasons in the year.

So watch for the longer days and be confident that spring will soon be here!

P.S. The four astronomical events are sometimes confused with the four Celtic festivals marking the changing seasons such as Imbolc, Beltane and so on.  In fact those four traditional dates mark the mid-points of the four astronomical seasons, such as the beginning of lambing in early February, half-way between winter and spring, and the beginning of wheat harvest in early August, half-way between spring and fall.







24 comments:

  1. Happy solstice. I love this one too! Bring on the light!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting how many ancient cultures recognized the winter solstice as a truly significant day and built structures that took it into account. I'm looking forward to longer days, snow and cold don't bother me (in fact I enjoy them) but short days are truly depressing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the ancients built all these edifices to mark the winter solstice for a reason...beyond just that the sun comes up as they show us. I think maybe it hadn't always done so. Or perhaps something else was related to it, but we haven't figured it out. Alas, all our intellects are pretty limited.

      Delete
  3. i don't really notice or think about this, i think your thoughts are deeper than mine, in a good way!!

    i try to enjoy all of the seasons, and i enjoy both long and short days...i adjust my schedule accordingly!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always look forward to putting this day behind us...onward to Spring:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy solstice, and onward to Spring.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking forward to more daylight again. You're right, it helps us get through the winter months.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I consider the Winter Solstice to be the true New Year. I always celebrate it with some joy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So as you start to enjoy those days with some more sunshine, down here our days will shorten.No matter how long a day, the hours are always too short. love that piece of history.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have heard of that mound. I'd love to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't know that about the Celtic festivals, but Happy Solstice to you. It really is the reason for the season if you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Solstice!! I try to pay attention to the Equinoxes, Solstices,and cross-quarter days. Makes life interesting. I sure am looking forward to longer days and warmer temperatures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Solstice indeed. Enjoy the extra two minutes of daylight you will have today. Better look for the sunscreen now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Today will be 7 seconds longer than yesterday. Yay! I love all the seasons but the Winter Solstice might be my favorite, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Solstice!
    I'm looking forward to even a few more minutes of daylight soon. I'm not sure how those who live in the far north manage the 24 hours darkness.
    Someday I will make the trip to Scotland and Ireland to visit the places my ancestors were born. So much history to explore, not only the personal.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Impressive!!
    I'm looking forward to lighter mornings. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is nice to think that the days getting longer means that spring is coming rather than dwelling on the 2 months of cold ahead of us.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Interesting! I look forward to longer days.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A great reading. I learned things and enjoy illustrations through photos.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I echo many of the comments above. The winter solstice is always a welcomed phycological lift. Not quite the homestretch to Spring but almost.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Winter Solstice is my birthday and I always look forward to longer light. Thanks for the bit of history.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are still a teacher! :) Merry Christmas to you and Mrs. F.G. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've missed all these! They just didn't come up in my newsfeed. sigh!

    ReplyDelete