Friday, June 12, 2020

Mrs. F.G.'s Recent Photos

Mrs. F.G. has recently been saying 'give me your camera', and heading out to get particular pictures she has spotted.  She is now definitely a better photographer than am I!  I think some of these are just stunning!

Last year she bought 5 new Allium bulbs.  They're now in bloom, very tall and beautiful.

Two are a slightly different shade than the others.

These two close-ups provide a great look at the stamens and pistils of all the tiny flowers.

Last year was the first year for this beautiful red Clematis, and it only had one or two blooms.  But this year it is flourishing and has over a dozen blooms already.

The blooms look interesting at every stage of opening up.

Great photos, don't you think!  She really does have a good eye for photography.  And our garden is looking great at the moment.

*****

For-profit Companies and Long Term Care - Last night we read an article about one of the big long term care corporations involved in owning and operating such facilities in Canada.  I've concluded that private corporations have no business being in the long term care field.

This company does not just own a few long term care homes, it owns 69 I think, and operates 60 or more too.  These include the homes where the greatest number of Covid19 deaths have occurred.  Last year they made over $1 billion profit, and in the first quarter of this year they turned over $268 million, on track to exceed $1 billion again.  At the same time they just spent $300,00.00 extra of their own funds (and $400,000.00 in government subsidies) extra during the pandemic.

 these numbers are simply obscene, and they've announced a $10 million payout to shareholders.  Need I say more.  All on the back of the elderly residents and grossly underpaid staff!






15 comments:

  1. The Allium are beautiful!
    The for-profit companies wouldn't be doing it if they were not making money. They should be all gov't owned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I love the Allium and the red Clematis, beautiful photos. Kudos to Mrs F.G. !
    Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, excellent photos and very colourful flowers. The school I worked in was taken over by a for-profit company just before I left. I've heard that standards have dropped since then - and not because I'm longer there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for telling me they are alliums, since I started wondering right with the first magnificent picture. Yes, she definitely has an eye for photographs. I really like those closeups. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your red clematis are lovely. I've never really been a fan of allium though.

    I hope this epidemic brings about some major changes in LTC. There needs to be more scrutiny. I was thoroughly disgusted by the amount of money we were paying for my dear fathers accommodation and the lacking in every area of that place. I'm glad he passed before this catastrophe. I just can't imagine how things could have gotten any worse. LTC homes in his city were frequently in the news and programs like W5.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhhh, lovely shots Mrs. G! The allium always reminds me of fireworks!

    What has been happening in LTC is atrocious, but alas it is nothing new. The for profit homes are the worse offenders...BUT having had experience with the gov't run ones, I can say they are not much better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful flowers and photographs.
    Well done Mrs F.G

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is disgusting what the privately owned homes can get away with.

    Mrs. FG really does have a eye for photography. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mrs FG has taken some beautiful photos. My favorite is the very first one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am new to Allium. I've never seen them. I bought some and they are fun!
    Good for your bestie!
    Most of our LTC hojmes are for-profit. 5/6 according to my research.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your last three paragraphs are key to long term care in Canada.You could see this coming a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job on the photos, Mrs FG. Greed for more money is such and evil root for so many problems in our world.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Humans didn't evolve to live long enough to need long-term care. Now that many of us do live long enough to become infirm, society hasn't been able to solve the cost and staffing issues. For-profit certainly isn't the best way to deal with long-term care, it will take really innovative thinking to arrive at a reasonable solution.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You now have two avid photographers in the house and glad to see Mrs FG turning her creative talents to the art of photography as well.

    Unfortunately greed for profit has always been with us but in these trying times it seems to be escalating uncontrollably.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That Clematis is so very beautiful! One of the prettiest I have seen! :)

    ReplyDelete