Saturday, June 20, 2020

Flowering Trees

I've been watching a particular tree at the end of the street which leafed out later than any others, to see what it was.  I realized this week when I found it covered in white flowers; it's a
Black Locust.  I haven't seen them very often.

The world has turned green, but this tree is white, quite striking at this time of year.  You can see the crazy twisting branch structure in this picture.

I couldn't get close in my wheelchair, so this is borrowed from the internet.  It's actually a member of the pea family.

The Chestnut around the block flowered awhile ago, remarkably intricate flowers when you look closely.

And of course even earlier this spring this big Magnolis around the corner was in full bloom.

My favourite is the Redbud, a small tree on the edge of its range here, that never gets very big.  The beautiful pink blossoms come out before the leaves, all along the branches.

This is not a flowering tree, but a striking Golden Locust.  It certainly stands out from the other trees!  And once I noticed one I started seeing others, this one in a backyard.

Meantime I'm surprised this a old Sugar Maple hasn't come down yet.  This is my 'before' picture for when the time comes.


10 comments:

  1. Sad to see any Tree come to the end of its life where it like the others would bring life to everything around it.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You captured the blooming beauty of June for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flowering trees certainly add some color to the landscape. It's surprising the redbud survives that far north, here in northcentral Pennsylvania we're just beyond it's natural range - they seem to do best on limestone-derived soils. We have one in the yard, but it's an Chinese redbud, they seem to be a bit more cold-tolerant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such gorgeous blossoms on those lovely trees! I think the redbud is my favorite. I've never seen one that I know anyway. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That old Sugar Maple doubtless provides home and food for a whole host of organisms.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've such a variety of trees! I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always liked the Redbuds too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The magnolias are some of my favorite. We had the old locust when I was a kid and they were horrible trees with thorns and bean like seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great series of photos of trees around the neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete