Saturday, June 13, 2020

Around the Yard

We've got lots of plants around the yard which we're enjoying this year besides our planter boxes and the clematis.  As our garden gets settled in we watch particular plants with interest, and make a few changes or additions every year.  Mrs. F.G. has big plans once we put in a bit of patio in the next few weeks.  We were out to another nursery today, which I'll tell you about tomorrow.

The Head Gardener did her own big pots for the front door this year when we found that our usual source would not be stocking any.

I still love the Alliums; these ones are down the side wall which I can't easily get to.

The nice dwarf Blue Spruce we got two weeks ago is doing well, replacing an enormous grass that was much too big for that spot.

One of my favourites, a Maidenhair Fern.  I love its lacy patterns.

Our Japanese Maple appears to be doing well.

A nice pink Bleeding Heart.

A hitch-hiking Columbine.  These readily self-seed, producing lots of seeds, so we had several who travelled with us, unbenownst to us, buried in pots of Hostas.  They popped up where we least expected them.  We have some light blue ones too, about 6 volunteer plants altogether.  This year we'll save some seed and remove the plants that are now dwarfing the Hostas.

Beautiful day today, a nice drive and now Mrs. F.G. is out planting her treasures!




14 comments:

  1. It sounds like a perfect day FG.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love surprises like the columbine. I have a poppy that came from who knows where.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photographs …

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a sweet lettuce that has come from somewhere! Your garden is looking beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, what fun to play in dirt planting flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great time of year in the garden. Our columbines started out as dark blue doubles that came as accidental seedlings from my parents place 45 years ago. Now, many generations later those self-seeding columbines are white and dark blue singles -- no more doubles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is wonderful to see the gardens. Our winters are quite demanding. Lovely gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful flowers, things to admire every day and give a surprising boost when you need it.
    Our blue spruce trees are not dwarf and I'm sure Donna didn't think they'd grow so fast when she planted them 4 years ago. They are so healthy!
    Columbine, I hope mine soon look like that. I'd enjoy seeing a pix of the blue one. They were definitely hitch-hiking so I picked them up. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love maidenhair ferns, too. And the alliums are so pretty! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Columbines are my favourite flower. I have lots in my yard, and I love that they reseed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wished I knew the names and could remember the names of flowers as well as you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such pretty plants in your yard! Someone has a green thumb and an eye for color:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete