Thursday, October 17, 2019

They Fixed It!

Victory!!


There's a background story to this.  Last July, wanting to go down to our local museum, I rode down the sidewalk from the main downtown corner one block to the harbour.  I only had to go one block west to get to the museum.  Straight ahead of me was a parking space on the opposite side of the street.

I road across the street only to find my way blocked by a cement curb placed to stop cars.  I looked up and down the street, and all the parking spots were blocked by curbs, all just close enough together to stop a wheelchair going through.  I had to drive down the street behind several parked cars to get to the museum.  Anyone knows that driving behind parked cars is a less than safe thing to do in a wheelchair.

So when I got home that day I called the town hall and asked for the Accessibility Coordinator.  She was on maternity leave, but I talked to her substitute and requested that they fix this situation.  I pointed out that they could easily do so by simply moving the concrete curb about six inches.  I didn't expect much action, but I remained hopeful.

But lo and behold yesterday we were driving by and they had fixed it!  They removed the concrete curb entirely and replaced it with the two bright yellow bollards you see in the photo - wide enough apart to easily get a wheelchair through, but certainly enough to stop a care rolling across the sidewalk and into the drink!

I can now access the harbourside sidewalk.  Victory!


14 comments:

  1. It is so encouraging when someone actually listens to a complaint and fixes things! Good for you for getting this done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great news. Nice that you were listened to and the problem fixed. I'm sure you helped many by making that call!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The squeaky wheel gets the grease -- never stop squeaking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great news. Sometimes the able don't get it. We have to tell them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad that they made the path accessible. Sometimes you just have to let the authorities know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you. When I worked at the school we often helped our wheelchair users contact the necessary authorities about access issues and usually it was effective - eventually. People always leave it for someone else to complain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Victory! Amazing how just politely opening your mouth can actually work.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. SSSSSWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTT!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfect! Thanks for following through with that FG, it helped you, it will help other folks, and it will broaden some people's focus. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes people just don't pay attention. I am glad they fixed it. I tried to push my wife one summer to places where they just didn't worry about making it accessible.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
    or
    call/whatsapp:+2349057261346










    i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
    or
    call/whatsapp:+2349057261346

    ReplyDelete