Friday, August 17, 2018

Finding the Joy

Thank you all so much for your encouraging comments day after day.  More than you know your words do pull me along the road to recovery.

After yesterday's post about the moments of feeling discouraged, I thought I should turn to the positive side.  One thing that really helps me is thinking of what brings me joy, so here are a few of them.

Childhood memories - I remember playing at the beach, big dinners at my grandparents, going to church with my own parents, and much more, all from before I was five.

Legacy - a friend who dropped by the other day reminded  me that I have left a big legacy in the work I did promoting land trusts and conservation in Ontario.  It's comforting to feel you've left something positive behind you after 35 years of work.

Family - of course my family is my biggest strength.  I can't begin to describe the love I feel from and for my closest family - my son, my daughter, my sister, my cousin and above all my wife.  At this stage in life, supporting them is my own goal.

Travel Memories - closely related to my family are the trips we've taken over the years, first the cross-country camping trips when our children were young, and later a number of trips my wife and I have taken.  My northern canoe adventures were a highlight.

Friends and Relatives - beyond my close family there are dozens and dozens of others who have supported me.  I know I sometimes take them for granted, but the many cards and the hand written messages in them I've received tell me that they all really care.

Nature - whether it's the gardens here or the tiny backyard at home, the waters of Georgian Bay or the forests of northern Ontario, being outdoors with all that greenery and fresh air has always inspired and comforted me.

This Blog - writing this blog is another source of joy, having such a tangible thing to do every day keeps me going, as do your comments.

So in spite of the hardship and frustrations, there are positive things for me to think about and remember or look forward to.


25 comments:

  1. You have great values and attitude, you appreciate everything, that's key in feeling joy. I find the way you're handling the current problems and challenges quite inspiring. Reading your blog is always time well spent.- Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure that some of your days have been incredibly long. It's okay to feel down sometimes. You do find the bright side of things that help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I went through cancer and treatments and hair loss my doc explained it to me that all that stress and loss could cause PTSD. That made sense to me. My emotions were a mess. Adjusting to the new normal takes time both mentally and physically. A depressing day is kust part of the process. You are doing a great job getting back to new normal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We all have a lot to be thankful for, even on the darkest days. You've articulated a lot of life's pleasures -- thank you for reminding us of some that may have receded in our memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to thank you for your words yesterday, and the follow up today. Just managing to type is a major step forward, and I had no idea how you were doing until I tried. Thankfulness, yes, although I am 78,mobile, and in fairly reasonable health. I need to remind myself to be thankful. 4 different medications, be on the alert for angina or a change in blood pressure, too high or too low, they seem to be so minor now. Getting you home will be the most wonderful news, after that first message from Mrs F.G. Maybe a belated birthday party, now you can eat cake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always enjoyed reading your posts about being out in nature. Your pictures along with the descriptions brought pleasure and excitement to this reader. You have a tangible legacy right here on the blog. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a great list - I couldn't do without my family - lots of things to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes life's frustrations get us down and I believe that things happen for a reason. Sometimes, too, I never understand what the reason but often, I do and am grateful for it.......later down the road. Your list of joys is what is keeping you going, I'm sure, and when you look back at the tough stuff, it will be worth it. Lovely post, F.G.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your blog brings me a feeling of joy. JOY is so important. My husband had ALS for 7 years. Luckily he was a positive man. We tried to find joy everyday. I’m sending you love, strength, joy and prayers. Give some to your wife too

    ReplyDelete
  10. You inspire me every day FG. You’ve come so far already. You’ve got this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, this is a great list. You have much to be thankful for, family is very important. Going over trip memories are fun, I enjoy going over my old blog post to see many of my previous and fun trips. I am sure you have many great blog post to look back on for happy memories. Take care! Enjoy your day and weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not all our days are positive and that's okay! I hope today is a bright and happy one for you. You do indeed have so much to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes we do have so much to be thankful for and many wonderful; memories. Posting the blog and comments also is good for the mind.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, FG, you are definitely an inspiration to so many. And to know you have left a legacy of good works for the environment must be very satisfying. You are so fortunate in your family, too. Thank you for this uplifting post. I look forward to every post. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ups and Downs Stew. You've done amazing things so far, and more to come I'm sure. Gord.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Count your blessings! Of course you will have down days...I think that is normal afterall you have been through a lot...so be kind to yourself:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Childhood Memories, Legacy, Family, Travel Memories, Friends and Relatives, Nature, and the Blog are all truly positive things to be treasured and carried close to one's heart. It is amazing how priorities can quickly re-align themselves when traumatic changes have occurred. Onward and upward.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are doing great! I look forward to when you can get the pictures connected to the blog again.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well as us folks here in Texas say, bless your heart! You have been an inspiration for years as I followed your blog. So much so we visited your area in 2015. Beautiful country. May you continue to be blessed with joys both big and small.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good work. In the dark of the night I think of all my mistakes. I have to push them out of my head. There is so much for which we can be grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This was a good post.
    Continued good thoughts to you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you. I am humbled to read this post.

    ReplyDelete