Saturday, August 11, 2018

It's Carnival Day!

I woke to see people setting up tent canopies down the pathway, toward the Veterans' end of Parkwood.  Turned out to be their annual carnival, scheduled from 1-3.

So after lunch we headed out to see.  There were about eight games set up under the canopies, from a fish pond (where everybody wins) and face painting to roulette wheels.  I think the vets enjoy their gambling!  There was quite a crowd of people coming and going too, vets, family, staff and volunteers.

We sat and watched the musicians set up and had some ice cream. Then we briefly looked inside and found a large gathering room where events are held.  There was a bar in the corner too.   There must have been 60 vets out, and almost all were in wheelchairs.  Part of the support came from a motorcycle club in Windsor.  There were six big bikes parked oiutside.

Passing through the raised bed gardens we spotted a Monarch feeding on the Butterfly Bush, and snapped a few pictures.  I continue to be impressed by the cell phone's camera.  You can't adjust either exposure or speed, but the camera seems to choose what's just right.  My pictures are sharp, clear, and properly exposed.  I haven't had my big camera with me in hospital.

The meals continue to be great too.  Lots of food and it tastes good.  I eat the meals twice - once in my mind when I'm filling out the menu choices, and once for real.

21 comments:

  1. It's a good thing you only eat it once or you wouldn't fit in your chair.
    Glad things are slowly improving.
    Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH, we are on the Monarch migration path back south. Tag one and I'll look for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a great carnival, especially the ice cream part.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes motorcycle riders get a bad rap. I know that responsible groups do a lot of work for charities, especially around the holidays. I use my iPhone camera a lot for taking pictures on the go. It is so much easier to have with me all the time, usually in a pocket. I used it yesterday to take some good closeups of a white (I think they actually call it yellow) woolly bear caterpillar. The fine hairs came out very clear. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ice Cream and a menu with choices, sounds wonderful. And to be outside, see the fun, and take some photos, life is on the upward every day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is wonderful for you to get out and about! :) They say we eat with our eyes first:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's good that you can get outside and have a Monarch fly past.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to get out for sure. My phone camera isn't as good as yours by the sound of it, it's low in mpx and isn't as clear as my canon camera.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun outing! I'm sure that ice cream tasted especially good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun time when the carnival comes to you,
    .Always nice to enjoy a meal twice, anticipations then the actual thing

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds that you had a wonderful time enjoying the activities and ice creams:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay Stew, did you get a face painting and if so we your reader are waiting for you to post a picture. I've been impressed as well by Smartphone photos I have seen. I have a Samsung Smartphone but with so many cameras around I haven't used it a lot. Kelly has a Blackberry and the colors and exposure are always right one. I think it's great that events and activities are planned and set up for folks under rehabilitation care.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A chance to be a kid again, ice cream and face painting. You said you had ice cream, hope you also got your face painted -- a gnome would have been most appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello, the cell phones do take great photos. The carnival sounds like fun. I finally saw one Monarch in my yard. I love ice cream! Enjoy your and new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a grand outing. (I've been around bikers for most of my life. Like all groups, they go both ways. Many of them do philanthropic events.)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! In reading the last several posts I feel so wonderful for you. Eating is such a great thing. When my husband had his big stroke "they" decided he had no swallow so no food but he rallied and when I was able to bring him home he went bad to FOOD. Lots of Mac and Cheese at first but he soon wanted more.
    He never did get the hang of the electric chair but it was there just in case.
    You probably could post from your cell phone---I can and if I could so could you. LOL
    Keep on keeping on
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey! Don't start liking that place too much.

    Wink.

    Those bikers are good people, huh.

    ReplyDelete
  18. How nice you got to go on an outing. : ) Sure must have been a treat to have that ice cream!
    My camera died a couple of months ago and my cell phone is the only camera I have now and I'm quite happy with it.
    Mine takes better pictures outside than inside though.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It sounds like you enjoyed getting out and about.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's so nice to hear you sounding pretty normal and describing places for us.

    ReplyDelete
  21. A Carnival! What a treat!
    Even that ice cream probably tasted wonderful!

    ReplyDelete