Thursday, April 27, 2017

Flowers in the Yard

We're back from our two week break, visiting our daughter, her husband and our grandchildren in British Columbia.  What a landscape, mountains in all directions, and more flowering trees and shrubs than we've ever seen!  I'll get to the 1500 pictures I took on our adventure soon.  But first, I need to bring you back to seasons here in the valley.  Spring has sprung in our absence and the first flowers are appearing in our garden.

The Coltsfoot is not in the garden, and though some consider it a 'weed', I think it's one of the most beautiful early flowers.

There's also a tiny patch of Hepatica on our property.  Usually the very first wildflower in the woods.

Across the front of our house we have quite a few bright blue Hyacinth, filling the air with their scent, and one patch of Daffodils (along with some shrubs that need pruning).


We only have one small patch of the typical yellow Daffodils, and these are the miniature version, only about 8" tall.

There's a bright blue patch of Anemones in the garden among all the brown stems of last year's flowers.

And a few smelly Fritillaria, almost ready to bloom.  I"ve seen these covered in snow in past years.

I've been mistakenly calling these Pasque Flowers, but they're actually Hellebores, similar shape but a different texture.

Our Forsythia are the best they've ever been, totally covered in brilliant yellow flowers, the brightest colour in the yard and probably the most common spring flowering shrub in Ontario.

I'm not even going to show you the rest of the garden.  April is clean-up month in the garden here, and we've missed 16 days of it, so I have a LOT of work to do!


14 comments:

  1. Personally, I am a great fan of Coltsfoot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Hellebore, darker than any I have, and the mini daffs, I have some similar and a friend called them " Hoop petticoat daffodil". How they all survive along with others under that snow for so long, then revive, and show those bright and summery colours. Nature's miracles I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back, FG. Glad you had a good vacation. The garden was a great welcome back too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome home, yes spring is sure in the air, love all the colourful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome home! I'm so glad you got to visit my part of the country and see why I love it so much! That forsythia is amazing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back! Always good to come home. Pretty flowers
    Hope the family is well and you took a zillion pic we are waiting to see.
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh by the way I do like the bright Forsythia---one of my favs also
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome back home. : )
    Nice to see that spring has come to your part of the world. Gorgeous spring colors.
    I've been busy in my yard with spring clean up too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty! The daffs are starting to come up now here, and the tulips too, though no blooms on them yet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. HI Furry...
    Welcome home...these are lovely shots...
    Now...get to work in the garden!
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to see you have some pretty wildflowers blooming. Looking forward to hearing about your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I bet you are happy to see all the color! Love all these...I don't think I have ever seen a Forsythia so full of bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderfully exploding colors and the forsythias brought back memories of the ones in my parents yard so many years ago!
    Gee, only 1500 images on a 2-week trip... reminds me of similar experie ces on some of our trips.

    ReplyDelete
  14. so pretty - a nice variety of color. i am happy to see you, and happy to know you are seeing spring!!

    ReplyDelete