Monday, October 24, 2016

Falling Water Hike Part I

The longest stretch of the Bruce Trail in the valley that I had not hiked was the west side of the 'Falling Water' section.  It's named for the 6 waterfalls that can be found in the narrow south end of the valley, and there was one small waterfall that I had never seen, at least according to the map.  So a friend and I started out at Johnston's Sideroad and headed south.

Right from the moment we stepped out of the car the colours were brilliant, and as you can see we had a beautiful sunny day for it - 5 days ago now.

The first part of the trail has quite a few very large old Sugar Maple and Beech trees; it's a really pleasant walk along the side of the slope.

The woods was golden all around us.

Until we came out to the lookout, at Cuckoo Valley Overlook.  This is a repeat of yesterday's picture, so you can compare it to the more standard two shots below.  You may be able to pick out the small portion of the photo above represented by both photos below.

Looking north down the valley.

This shows you how narrow the valley is down close to the south end.  The small valley entering across the way is Cuckoo Valley, where Eugenia Falls can be found.  (The light bits in the shadow are open cliffs).

We enjoyed the spectacular view for quite a while, and then headed on down the trail.  I had been to the lookout, but never walked beyond this point.

We completely forgot to even look at the first waterfall on the way, and this picture of it about 3-4 months from now is the only one I could find.  Sorry!


13 comments:

  1. Beginning to have a winter feel to the air now to as the last photo reminds me lol ! Lovely photos . Thanks for sharing , Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  2. That last picture sure looks cold! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. loving the colours - think the 3rd photo is my favourite :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a dazzling display from Nature! Great job on the photos. I especially love the photos of the tree trunks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our colors are not as good this year. I really would like to walk parts of the Bruce Trail. I knew of it before, but you've really educated me on some of its beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The fall colors on your hike are spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a neat hike. The Sugar Maples color up so wonderfully.
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  8. That would be such a pretty walk through the golden woods then to come out to a vista of reds, oranges and golds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The colours are wonderful, looking forward to part two.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The colors are spectacular especially next to the bright blue sky.
    Wow love the old sugar maple and the perspective looking up. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my those are spectacular photos. I really enjoy your walks!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Impressive set of images FG. I may just have to put this trail on my list.

    ReplyDelete