Saturday, February 10, 2024

A Saturday Afternoon Drive

On that first bright sunny day we'd had in weeks we decided to go for a drive.  We chose Lake Eugenia, straight south of us, and headed out of town.  The sun was glaring, but I managed a few slightly off-true-colour photos along the way.

The big hill on the way out of Meaford is not the Niagara Escarpment, it's the ancient post-glacial Algonquin shoreline.  That's another story sometime.

We passed the big steel grain bins along the way.  Here they both store and dry crops of corn, soybeans and wheat.  I presume they bring in seed for those crops as well.

Shortly after that we come over the crest of the hill and start down into the Beaver Valley.  Lake Eugenia is beyond the far horizon.

In a couple of spots we could look up to the cliffs where the Bruce Trail passes, and where I spent so much time exploring in my past life.  Sorry about the reflection.

Then we pass the old Talisman Ski Hill, site of my skiing in my teenage years, but sadly overgrown and abandoned now.

And on the left a beautiful view of Old Baldy, just before entering Kimberley.  I don't think I have many winter shots here.


10 comments:

  1. The road with all the ups and downs, imagine if that was a ski slope, maybe it was way before roading was done.Was there still some ice on the road? Mrs F G, you are indeed an intrepid driver. I would be quaking in my snow boots to drive there.ButI guess in earlier days I did drive our Fordson tractor all over the farm to help my Dad.And only once did I get a fright when my sleeve caught the arm that was a speed control.Suddenly way too fast for a young maybe 9 year old. Dad ran along the tow bar from the trailer full of silage and slowed it down for me.Things you do not forget.He had a lot of faith to let me drive at that age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the view going down into Beaver Valley. The road goes on forever. I've always enjoyed seeing those roads ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you had a chance to get out and about. And thanks for the great pictures, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best thing to do when winter has sunshine, go on a road trip anywhere. Glad to have your explanations of what we're seeing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those shots of the roads going into the distance. They draw me with them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful day for a ride through beautiful country. The roads down here twist and turn with no long distance views down the right-of-way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a great day for a drive. The roads look a bit frosty, but that might be the glare. It's always great to get out when the sun shines!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always like seeing that long road!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wasn't that sunny day a lovely treat!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looking at the road that goes up and down I couldn't help think of all the sand/grit that must be spread on the surface in winter. ( One of my sons does that kind of work but out here it's just a week here and there).

    ReplyDelete