Saturday, October 30, 2021

More Sandhill Cranes

Yes, a week after successfully chasing Sandhill Cranes around Elsinore, west of Owen Sound, Mrs. F.G. saw another Facebook post reporting a flock of about 100 'near Copper Kettle'.  So after physio this week she sprung it on me and we headed out to hunt for them.  I pulled up Google Maps and looked for open fields in that area (Copper Kettle itself sits in forest for all directions).  So I directed us on our new expedition.

And we were quickly successful.  The Cranes were scattered over a large field around a farmstead, walking along searching for food,  Mixed in with them were a few Canada Geese, looking about half the size of the cranes.

Our first view of them was off in the distance, but we got closer quickly.

Luckily for us they were close enough to the road that we got a really good luck at individual birds, unlike the enormous flock we saw two years ago east of Collingwood.

As we passed the farmstead we saw there was an even larger number ahead in the next field, so on we went.

If anything these were even closer to the road, so we enjoyed just looking.

We counted nearly 100 before we moved on.  And so our second Sandhill Crane hunting expedition was a success.  My only regret was not having my big camera, so I couldn't really crop in closely.  But sometimes it's better to just enjoy what you're seeing!



21 comments:

  1. What do the farmers think about these birds?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are so large! You seem to be able to find them every time that you hear they are in the area! Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing them, so thanks for the big flocks! You did fine with your little camera, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting birds. There are lots of them in the west particularly during migration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm guessing since the crops are already in, the farmer's are getting free fertilizer. I was downwind once from a huge flock at the Muleshoe, Tx wildlife preserve, and you could smell them before you could see them! They are fascinating birds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great delight to see so many.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We don't see them, so I am pleased to read your posts. Yes, sometimes enjoying the moments is all that you need.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I agree.....It is sometimes just best to enjoy the moment and not worry about taking photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your find. They certainly are impressive birds and you got good looks at them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great find! I have never seen the cranes. I get my fix through your excursions.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are lovely. I once saw a sandhill crane at a gas station in Florida. He was right outside our car grazing. I was so excited.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a sight! Thanks for sharing the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The sandhill cranes don't seem very leery of people. The Canada geese look so small in comparison. Great pics.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That was fun for you! Such an interesting bird!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  16. facebook is such a great resource for finding information like this!! great pictures, exciting stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We always think of Canada Geese as big birds - except when seen alongside cranes or swans.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't see them here in Virginia. I enjoy seeing yours.

    ReplyDelete