Thursday, May 23, 2019

William

Four years ago last night we got the calls from distant northern Alberta, reporting that there'd been a crash and our oldest son William had died.  Will was flying his water bomber fighting a forest fire near Cold Lake in niorthern Alberta when his plane was caught in a fire tornado, and smashed to the ground.  Every May 22nd brings it back.

Will spent some of his the early years in his career up in the Arctic, flying photographers out onto the tundra to photograph wildlife like Muskox.  Along the way he saw lots of wildlife himself, and saw the northern lights, up close and personal`.

Scrolling through the pictures, I found these two, from a flight he took to distant northern Quebec.  I think Quaqtaq is the only place name in the world with three`Qs``.

It took him 15 years of experience to apply for the water bomber position; it was his dream.  This is him, doing a water drop as a demonstration in Lac Labiche, Alberta.  Of course the fire approaching High Level Alberta, in which some of his friends are involved, has reminded me of all this, but it always comes flooding back easily.


19 comments:

  1. My heart goes out to you. I know your pain and that anniversaries are always hard, no matter how many years pass. Sending my sincere sympathy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We remember that day , first reading it in the news and then getting the call from you. Thinking of you both in this painful time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll always remember the night we got a call that our son-in-law had suddenly died of a heart attack -- we understand how you hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anniversaries that recall the passing of loved ones are always the hardest it seems,regardless of the time that has gone by. Most of us know exactly how you must feel on this date because we have suffered losses too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spelling and pronunciation in Inuktitut is an adventure. We called it Koartuk! I was in northern Quebec for two years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thoughts and prayers is all I can say. Sometimes life seems to make no sense.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A tough anniversary for sure and time really never makes these any easier as all of us who have lost loved ones know. I spent much time catching up on your blog tonight and admire your tenacity in moving forward. I’m honestly not sure if I could be so strong, and you surely are in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One never forgets. That is part of love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember. Wow, has it really been that long?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are the kinds of anniversaries you don't celebrate. You will never forget and that is a good thing. I'm sad for the pain you and Mrs. FG are feeling right now and I'm sure every day. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As a fellow pilot,I share your grief,
    Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
    Sunward I’ve climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
    of sun-split clouds, — and done a hundred things
    You have not dreamed of — wheeled and soared and swung
    High in the sunlit silence. Hov’ring there,
    I’ve chased the shouting wind along, and flung
    My eager craft through footless halls of air….

    Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
    I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace.
    Where never lark, or even eagle flew —
    And, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
    – Put out my hand, and touched the face of God

    ReplyDelete
  12. A difficult day for you. I'm very sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember when you first posted about William. Though he is gone from your presence he lives in you hearts always. May God comfort you as only He can.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My thoughts and prayers for you and Mrs. FG

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  15. A phone call no parent ever wants to receive.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A very hard day for you both. When I see news of fires I always think of him and all the other pilots that put their lives in danger and their families at home:(

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thoughts of care and remembrance for you both, William, always in your hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I still think about him and you two...my heart always hurts for you both when he crosses my mind. I had not realized this happened till well after it happened. Maybe even after Roger had his stroke.

    ReplyDelete