Sunday, May 19, 2019

Trees are 'Greening Up'

The valley is rapidly 'greening up' as we say, the forest slopes washed in yellow-green colours as the trees, especially the Sugar Maples first, start to wake up and unfurl their leaves.  But actually, much of that yellow-green colour is not the leaves, but the flowers.  Yes, trees have flowers (how else would they get seeds), and in most cases the flowers precede the leaves, if only briefly.


This is that magical timme in the woods (if I could get there), when the spring ephemerals bloom, all those spring wildflowers that we love.  The sun still shines through the largely leafless canopy, but the forest floor turns green.

Here's a single Sugar Maple out on the golf course, beautiful-green.






 
We're having an invasion of Blue Jays these days, presumably two families from two small patches of woodland nearby.  It's made for endless amusement watching out the windows.

Sorry about the format; blogger is misbehaving for me tonight.




20 comments:

  1. I've noticed a LOT more blue jays on my patch of earth this spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those small flocks of blue jays frequently number in multiples of six -- the breeding pair from last year and four of their offspring. Beautiful birds they are. Our sugar maples bloomed quite a while ago; today the red maple samaras (winged seeds) were showering down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes the trees are greening up and nicely , we have noticed a lot of blue jays here as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet you are enjoying the spring green showing! I am always so glad to see it when it appears!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes that Blogger format can definitely be a misbehaver at times. So many beautiful shades of green this time of year. With todays sunshine, rain, and warm temperatures we can almost see things growing. Whenever I check the live Weather Exeter radar site I always have a look at your area too and I think you may have had the same kind of day we did.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing like the green of new leaves and plants.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never seen a blue jay, we mostly get sparrows.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun that the squirrel and jays hang out together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to get seed out, haven't seen many blue jays yet. Nice to see the sugar maple flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you are able to see so much from your chair, but I know you wish you could walk the woods again. I'm just glad I have you around at all. And thanks for the great pictures. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was 92 degrees here yesterday, and I was gardening in the sun. Oh. Heat stroke!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are further ahead than we are in Spring! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sure looking like spring up there by you. We've pretty much greened up here by me.
    Fun to watch the bluejays.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The beauty of spring surely refreshes a soul.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a beautiful sight to see!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love these weeks when the trees flower.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just love all the bright green foliage that erupts in springtime!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely light in these shots. The blue jay families must have something of a tenuous peace amongst themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the time of year when the trees come to life once again. And your blue jays are fabulous - I've only seen a few of them when we went to West Virginia to visit our son's family. We have Stellar Jays out here on the west coast - they have much darker feathers and no white. They visit our yard every day - and one had a huge peanut today and was busy burying it in a planter on our deck - silly bird, I always find several peanuts that they bury and forget to come back for.

    ReplyDelete