Friday, November 16, 2018

Nuthatches

I've been surprised that both White-breasted and Red-breasted Nuthatches have been visiting out feeders.  They're such fun to watch because they walk upside down, down the tree trunks and the feeders.

We've often had at least one White-breasted Nuthatch visit our feeders, usually in a small flock of Chickadees.  They're a really distinctive grey and white bird and are usually seen upside down.  Their enlarged and reversed hind toe helps them hang upside down.

Like chickadees, they take individual sunflower seeds and hammer them open to eat the good part.

They also have a distinctive call which is easy to recognize - a nasal 'hank, hank'..  During summer you're more likely to hear them than see them.

The Red-breasted Nuthatch is a bit smaller, with a very distinctive eye stripe and rusty brown colour underneath.  We have seen them much less frequently, as they inhabit coniferous tree stands.  We do have numerous blocks of conifers within sight though, so maybe that's why they are visiting.

Like the White-breasted Nuthatch and the Chickadees, they carry seeds away and hammer them open.  We actually have a pair of each species visiting this winter, a highlight of the brd watching season so far.

Linking to:

14 comments:

  1. These are wonderful to see. I don’t think I will see nuthatches here in my suburbia. They are one of my favorite birds with their streamlined markings. At my old place they would grab seed and go so quickly that I couldn’t get the camera up and going in time to take a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photos are bird book quality

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very pleasing visitor to the bird feeders. We have a similar Nuthatch here that also visits feeders though unfortunately not in this area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are one of my favorite birds. I know that call well, and when I used to have feeders, they were constant visitors for those seeds. Love the pictures! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's cool how we get different critters by the season

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to put my feeder away. I had moved it under the side porch to a spot I could watch and out of the heavy rains which soak the seeds. Unfortunately it attracted a rat, not one of our typical woodrats, but a Norway rat. Away went the feeder and out came a trap. Caught the rat and haven't seen any evidence of another, thankfully. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a lot of fun watching the birds at my backyard feeder. Thanks for sharing your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They kind of remind me of colourful Sparrows - nice to see them enjoying a feast.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nuthatches are such interesting birds; the white-breasted maintain a year-round territory and the pairs stay together. Glad you have both species visiting your feeder.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your photographs here.
    Nice looking birds.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, it's always entertaining watching those little Nuthatches bounce around upside down. We have both the white and red breasted ones here too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Do enjoy the birds. It might be nice to be able to hand upside down at times, but I am missing the needed backwards toe. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Here in Minnesota we call them Assups:)

    ReplyDelete