Thursday, January 4, 2018

Arctic Exploration

I can sense the cabin fever building, even at this early stage of the winter.  I knew I needed to get out for some fresh air, but with the windchill it was -27°C.  So I just pretended I was going out on an Arctic exploration!  It felt like it too!

The sun was a faint haze through the fine blowing snow in mid-afternoon.

I put on the snowshoes and headed out back to the edge of the field.  You couldn't see much beyond the silhouettes of the nearer trees.

I'm not sure whether it was actually snowing, or the wind was just picking up the surface snow and blowing it around.  In any case visibility was limited.

I picked my way behind the clumps of spruce trees for a bit of shelter from the wind and headed west as far as the little creek, now marked just by some dry bulrushes in the snow.

Having made it this far and got my serious dose of fresh air (!), I decided I could turn around.

It was much easier going back, walking in my own tracks, ducking behind the spruce again for shelter.  Breaking trail on showshoes is a slow business if the snow is deep.

I walked down beside the old line of trees, past that house under construction next door, and in out of the arctic wind.  It's not that bad if you screw up your courage and enjoy the challenge, and you're dressed for it.  There's a good chance that tonight and tomorrow night will be the coldest nights of the year here, with wind chills of -33°C forecast.

****
In spite of the arctic conditions here, we seem to have it better than the eastern U.S. where they're dealing with a 'cyclone bomb' moving up the Atlantic coast.  If you've wondered just what that is, take a look at this wind map.

The "Earth: A Global Map of Wind...." is a really interesting site to check out in times of storms like this.  If you go to the link you'll see this map live, with all those lines indicating the moving wind.  You can clearly see the counter-clockwise pattern of winds, which makes meteorologists label this a 'cyclone'; the 'bomb' label just indicates the strength of the storm.  Leaves me thinking we're doing just fine here in our deep freeze!


17 comments:

  1. It's definitely looking like winter there! We've had light snow all day, and the temperatures have been noticeably dropping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't have a whole lot of snow either, but that little dusting sure did blow around today. With this wind it feels far colder than it was a few days ago. Looking forward to a wonderful break the first of the week. Heading to the hospital for all my pre-op stuff tomorrow. They have a lovely cafe and atrium. That will have to suffice for my cabin fever reliever for now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you were able to get out, even in those awful conditions, and to share it with me. Yes, I'm sad about the situation on the East Coast. But from the other coast, I am enjoying mild and even delightful weather. I know it will change, but until it does, I'm happy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you're recovering, even if not as rapidly as you'd like. Looks like winter has arrived there; we've had low temperatures (lower over the next few days as you send it southeastward) but very little snow so far. I've always enjoyed conditions like you photographed -- whether above the tree line on a mountain peak or by the ocean -- makes me feel truly alive. I grew up in an area that's being pounded by the cyclone bomb, in many areas they're not at all prepared to deal with more than three or four inches of snow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hard to use a camera in a snow storm. Great persistence.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The wind is vicious here, FG. We’ve had snow, freezing rain and now rain. Lots of power outages though we haven’t lost it yet. We are sleeping downstairs since the house is shaking too much to sleep on the upper level.

    ReplyDelete
  7. To go out in that, and get those photos, you are a miracle. And the global wind map, I will pass on the link to our family in Rotorua, massive winds there all day. One huge tree blew over and landed on a car. Huge tragedy for the driver and her family.Take care in those snowshoes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You may have enjoyed your expedition but I bet it was nice to get back in the warm again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Neat wind map. I like the flat landscapes in the low visibility, although I'm always ready to see the sun again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, all I can say is you are the brave one. I am inside walking on my treadmill, the windchill is awful. You have much more snow than we do. Take care and stay warm. Happy Friday, enjoy your day and weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, we got the same and the winds were killers. I stayed inside with hot cocoa and a fire in the fireplace and watched movies. Envious of your 'cool' photos, though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are brave but I certainly would understand the cabin fever. After these next few nights it sounds like Monday and Tuesday will bring you a warm-up. My sister in Hanover said 0C on Tuesday!! Tee shirt weather for you!
    Your pictures even look bitter cold!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know what you mean about getting out of the house for a bit. I'm the same way. : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks windier than here! I can almost feel the cold from your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fascinating map. Thanks for the link. We are in Switzerland surrounded by snow and brilliant sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Brrrr!!! I don't think I would like it THAT cold. I could acclimatize I suppose.
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really like you post good blog,Thanks for your sharing.

    soy'vvow]oN

    ReplyDelete