Sunday, January 21, 2018

Ice Skirts on the Creek

With another January thaw upon us, we've had a lot of melting and high water levels, followed by cold freezing nights.  It's a time to find some great ice formations along the creeks, rivers, and down in the swamps.  Today I'll share these 'ice skirts', a fringe of small icicles that form where an ice shelf builds up out from the banks of a creek.  If the ice shelf is think enough, and the water underneath is flowing fast, the small splashes on the underside of the ice form these 'skirts' of small icicles.  Just another bit of beauty that nature provides.

The video below shows the short stretch of the Sydenham River above Inglis Falls where all these pictures were taken.  You can see the ice shelves on both sides of the river, and perhaps make out the ice skirts right on the edge.

Tomorrow I'll show you some 'ice tables'.

Linking to:


19 comments:

  1. Oh! Oh so beautiful! I am enthralled by ice skirts. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, I didn't know they had a name. So, I'm assuming you were in a wet suit laying on your belly taking these? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember first seeing that sort of 'ice skirt' thing along the shores of Lake Erie one time many years ago. That's a nice collection of photos you have of showing them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, something else I've never seen or even known about .. and beautiful to boot. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fascinating. I can't say I've ever noticed these formations, though it's not often that we have that kind of weather. They look like a necklace of fine jewels.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Frilly bobbles, they are wonderful, and a real part of nature's winter display.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just maybe...reading your blog title is my best tickle of every day

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow!! these are really special captures. interesting formation, different than what i see here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, wonderful images, the ice skirts are pretty. Happy Monday, enjoy your day and new week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. More excellent pictures of those skirts. Enjoy the thaw.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent. I had never heard of 'ice skirts' I would have said ice fringe but we just don't get to much ice here (just RAIN)---haha
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful! I have seen these before, I just didn't recall there was a term for them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely captures of these ice formations!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very pretty!
    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete