Sunday, December 31, 2023

Highlights of '23 - Part I

Every year I try to come up with a few highlights as we welcome in the New Year.  It helps convince me I've actually done something worthwhile during the year, and been able to post a few not-too-bad photos.

When I started selecting these I was simply thinking of the best photos, but as I worked my way through the year I realized there were other important reasons to include my selections.  So these are a mix of good photos, memorable events during the seasons, and good times together.

There are two huge limitations.  First, I'm using my phone as my camera.  I've learned that it takes quite good shots up close, but distant shots of scenery are lousy!  Second, and more important, I now live in a very limited world and can't get out many places to see new things.  Thank goodness Mrs. F.G. enjoys going for a drive now and then!

Who can forget the storms of early January '23!

(And compare them to today).

As spring unfolds we're anxious to get out, and this year one of our earliest drives in mid-March, was up to the Kemble Women's Institute Monument with a wonderful view over Georgian Bay.

Here at home the earliest flower is the tiny Dwarf Iris in its gorgeous royal blue colour, blooming in early April right outside our front door.

And by mid-April I was downtown for the first ride of the season, stopping in for coffee. 

By mid-May the Redbud was in bloom outside our front windows.  I'm always amazed at how beautiful this is, blooming profusely before it has any leaves.

And then it's Dandelion season, one of my favourite spring wildflowers.

Surprisingly, one day I spotted a Wild Turkey in a yard around the corner on someone's front lawn.

And by the first of June those Dandelion were in seed.  Such an amazing method of seed dispersal when you think of it - look at those individual tiny parachutes in the lower left.  And I think, a good photo for my phone.  

              By June it's also warm enough for me to get down to the harbour, and at some point I make my way along an extended ride down to the beach.  Always nice to look out over Georgian Bay.  Happy New Year Everyone!























10 comments:

  1. Great recap! Looking forward to part two. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember admiring that beautiful blue Iris last year. Just looking at the photos makes me so anxious for Spring!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are lovely photos, and yes, that dandelion definitely knows how to seed itself! Happy New Year, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And a Happy New Year to you and Mrs. FG, and your entire family. Looking out at the bare ground at the end of December perhaps we should be glad we're old.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very enjoyable look back, I do like that blue Iris.
    Happy New Year wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your photos are a lovely way to remember the past year. Happy New Year! All the best to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. For the first time, I am going to do something like this, and it is going to take me more than two posts. 😁

    Thanks for posting throughout the year..

    Happy New Year 🎇

    ReplyDelete
  8. A wonderful recap. I don't think I want to look back, at this point!

    ReplyDelete