Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Dinner Date and Memory Work as Pain Relief

On Friday last, Mrs. F.G. asked me out to dinner!  I think her secret purpose was to get me new shoes, so we stopped at Parkers in Owen Sound before driving down to Harrison Park and our favourite restaurant.  This is now the only restaurant we go to, usually 3 or 4 times a year.  The food is great, the tables are spread out, and the setting is wonderful.

It occurs to me that not many municipal parks have a great restaurant, but this one does, and it's been here forever.  I remember the old building from my childhood, before it burned down.  The new one strikes the same atmosphere, with huge wood beams and a vaulted ceiling - and good food.

You even get a selfie - look up and behind me to see the vaulted ceiling, big wood beams and tall stone fireplace.  After the meal we drove around to see all the Christmas lights in the park (it's the Festival of Northern Lights), but you'll have to wait til next post to see those.

I wanted to add a word on memory work.  As you know, I suffer from ever-present nerve pain, mainly around the level of my spinal cord injury.  It's very annoying and medical science has never come up with a pill to combat nerve pain, so I have to guide my brain to think of other things.  As long as I'm reading, watching a video, or writing (like this), I find I don't notice the pain as much  (though it's really bothering me today).  And I do take far too many pills already!

At the moment I have memorized the royal families of Europe, the U.S. states and their capitols, and I'm working on the countries of Africa.  For the U.S and Africa I do it by picturing a map which I find fascinating.  (Obviously I know all of the Canadian provinces and capitols, we've been to all of them - except Nunavut).  

As for the royal families, I'm simply fascinated.  I wouldn't call myself a royalist (though my mother was), but I still find the pomp, circumstance and lifestyle fascinating - particularly the castles, who wouldn't want to live in a castle?  I've always been intrigued with 'places' which I can visualize, and we've been to both Balmoral and Windsor Castles.  

I've been reminded of other European royal families in recent years because of Queen Elizabeth's funeral and King Charles' coronation, both attended by other European royal families, so I started looking up 'who are these people'.  There are 10 European royal families altogether, all of them now democracies.  I find it fun and hope it's good for my brain and my pain both.  The pain relief comes from sitting and recalling all of these to myself, over and over.

Some of you will think I'm seeing this through rose-coloured glasses.  In fact I think the British monarchy in particular has some very tough times ahead addressing the legacy of the British Empire, especially slavery.

So how many of my American readers can sit down and recall all 50 states, let alone all their capitols?





10 comments:

  1. I could manage the provinces and territories and at least 8 capitals - I'd be a bit shaky on a couple, I'm sure. Pretty sad, isn't it?
    On the other hand, my daughter would be the one to talk about British royalty and its antecedents. She became interested in royalty as a young teen after reading some fictional histories. From there she wanted to know more and that has led to a life long interest in the topic.
    I recall the last year before cancer took my mom and the pain she experienced was debilitating and constant. I'm glad you've found some relief through memory work, I just wish there was more that could be done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the states yes, most of the capitals but not all.
    My memory isn't what it used to be. :)
    Looks like a nice place to go out to eat.
    So sorry you have that pain to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot begin to imagine what that nerve pain is like. I can see how the mind work would help though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man! I start feeling sorry for myself, and then realize that I am pretty lucky. You are an amazing person, and I wish you the best possible. Have you tried medical marijuana? Or even just the feel good stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Then you can try all the English counties, their county towns and the rivers on which they stand - as my father learned by rote when he was at school. He could never work out why I, with a degree in Geography, could never recite them with the same sureness and fluency.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can get all the States but the Capitals sometimes mess me up. Perhaps I should try your method! You are looking good, I am glad you got out and about! Seems I am only pain free lying real still.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That does look a nice place to go out to eat.
    I'm sorry you have that nerve pain to deal with, but pleased that mind work can and does help.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have some nerve pain from an old accident, but it comes and goes. I do use CBD cream to alleviate the pain sometimes, but more often I do what you do, distract myself, and it does help a lot. I once knew all the states and capitals, but now I've forgotten most of them. Good idea, memorizing stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Keeping the mind active is a very good thing to do. I don't notice my tinnitus if I'm doing something or if there are other sounds, even just the wind in the trees, but if it's really quiet ... That looks like a very enjoyable place to have a good meal -- it was nice of Mrs. FG to ask you out on a date, even if she had an ulterior motive.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It seems the harder I try to remember something, the more elusive it becomes. Yes, it looks like a nice restaurant and that is a great selfie. I haven't had a lot of experience with recurring pain but this arthritic hip joint of mine has sure been vying for my attention.

    ReplyDelete