Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Accessibility in Ontario Part II

I'm spending a lot of time reading these days, trying both to learn how bureaucrats approach accessibility issues here, and more about why the implementation of 'AODA' has been so appallingly poor!

I've now referred back to the 2nd, 3rd and 4th reviews and all consider that 'the pace of change is agonizingly slow'.  Over 17 years there's still a belief among the disabled that not much has been accomplished.  The most recent review, by Donovan puts it in the strongest terms, describing the legislation as an unequivocal failure, describing his findings as 'utterly shocking' and ending his review by asking "Mr. Premier, do you care?"

David Onley's third review described the failure to move forward on improving accessibility as discrimination, plain and simple.  Noting the anger and frustration he heard he stated:  "We are the only minority group in our society that faces blatant, overt discrimination and whose civil rights are infringed upon every day from multiple directions."  He wrote that the only word to describe it is discrimination.  It must end, It's a violation of human rights.  (Onley is a former Lieutenant-Governor of Ontario, who used a scooter himself after childhood bouts with polio).

Onley also emphasized the need for a massive public education campaign and strong government leadership.  He wrote that all the standards, meetings and policies in the world will not help without leadership to make this a priority.  No government party has chosen to do that in 17 years.

"It is widely believed that achieving accessibility will take more than laws and regulations – it will take a massive cultural transformation – a societal change to make accessibility foremost in mind rather than an afterthought."  What's needed isn't so much compliance as 'accessibility mindfulness'.

Also needed is the willingness to listen to the disabled themselves.  Sometimes changes can meet the letter of the standards based on expert advice, but in fact still be difficult, even still present a barrier.  An example for me is disabled parking spaces that are not in fact wide enough to allow a side-loading van to unload (which takes at least 8 feet outside our van.  Almost all the disabled parking spaces we've seen in five years are too narrow.

My own impression is that the province has spent far too much effort developing standards for such things as transit, customer service, staff training and more, but has not put any effort into enforcing or encouraging adoption of these standards.  No financial incentives for retrofits have been provided, and no effort has been made to familiarize the public with these issues.  Even I, as a disabled person, didn't know anything about 'AODA' until the past week!  I expect not 1 in 100 local citizens would have the vaguest idea what you were talking about!

I have two next questions.  First, I have no idea where Meaford stands in the province, though I expect we're doing better than average.  Second, I am confused over whether this just applies to public agencies, buildings and programs, or also to the private sector - including all those restaurants downtown that I can't get into.  I'm going to ask my local contacts at the municipality about those things.  I think there's a widespread misconception for example, that only public buildings need to be accessible.

With my background teaching university, I've had a vague uneasy feeling that there must be some way in which I could contribute more to my own local community.  As John said in yesterday's comments, I have had some problems of my own to deal with (that's putting it mildly), but perhaps now I'm ready to contribute more here.  It has taken me 5 years to become as fully functional as I am.  My own father always said you should look for ways in which you can give back to your community.  Lots to learn yet, but I think I've found a way in which I can give back..



10 comments:

  1. Here in the US we have the "Americans with Disabilities" Act, or ADA. Basically the ADA protects people with disabilities from discrimination. Before I retired, in my job as a transportation engineer with the City of Portland I designed sidewalk curb ramps to provide access for wheelchair users. We also had to ensure that the sidewalks had the proper cross slope and were free of obstacles. Sounds like you are the perfect person to advocate for access from your local government.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how it is there, but I know why it's sometimes so bad here - no disabled people are involved in the planning and implementation of the measures. I know this because I worked with children with complex problems, although many of these had severe learning difficulties they could often see where the problems were. I'm sure you'll be able to make a huge contribution.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are doing something useful with your research. I can see that accessibility in our downtown in abysmal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There will always be a need for committed citizens to get involved before things change. I have learned a great deal just following your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can hear the passion in you writing; this is an opportunity to support the people of your community and beyond with your advocacy and personal experiences. I'm sure your voice will be welcomed by most. I agree, there needs to be both standards and enforcement, and these standards need to apply widely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good work. I had to recover some after my dad and mom died before I could give back. You are doing so well. It's amazing how slow the change is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Far too many people who design facilities to be accessible have absolutely no experience with any type of disability. I remember my father talking about a group of classmate who would carry a handicapped member of the class upstairs so he could attend a class in the 1920s. In so many ways things haven't changed in the intervening 100 years. It would be great if you, and a blind person, and a few folks with other issues could guide your municipality in dealing with accessibility problems.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the writing is clearly on the wall for you now. With your educational background, determination, concern, and personality, I can see you advocating for disabled folks clear across this country of ours. You have found a purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here in Virginia they do a good job of designing parking spots and sidewalks, but other things are just not thought of. And there is a problem with parking locations due to fire regulations because the large stores leave access for fire engines near the door so the handicap spots are sometimes a rather long distance away. Walmart, our largest retailer, seems to plan well architecturally but then forget about access when stocking the shelves. Also, they have motorized carts, but they are often not fully charged.

    ReplyDelete