Thursday, November 2, 2023

North Past Old Baldy

Along the way we did pull up into one short dead end and found it bathed in colour too.  There's an old wooden bridge up ahead, now collapsed, but I rode up this old road with a family friend 50 years ago, to gather hay on a property above the escarpment.  I was 17 I think.  I remember it as quite an adventurous ride!

Today this road just leads to three houses so does accumulate a few leaves, with very little traffic.

Looking straight into the forest remains a favourite view to show fall colour.

And back down to the main road, turning right to drive through Kimberley.

At the north end of Kimberley you get a terrific view of Old Baldy looking to the east.  The Bruce Trail goes right along those cliffs; I've been up there many times (before the wheelchair!).

We just went one road further and drove up into Amik subdivision, a group of chalets built 50 years ago on the north side of the former Talisman Ski Club, now defunct.  We've seen some brilliant red trees here in the past, but it was looking rather subdued this time.  Mind you there are some pretty fancy chalet renovations!

Above those chalets were those upper slopes of colourful Sugar Maple.

Coming down out of that subdivision we got a view of the opposite slopes, on the east side of the valley, as well as a few closer bright trees!

And then another spectacular view of Old Baldy, and the slopes below it.

We turned north and had some great views of that eastern slope, where the Bruce Trail follows all along the top.

This final view shows a new home that's been built that I was totally unaware of - you can't see it from the road below.  Homes like this are being built by wealthy families who purchase an entire 100 acre parcel and build a road up the slope to their preferred location with the best view!

********

I'd like to add a word about the editing of these two posts.  I use my simple built-in editing program to crop and brighten photos that need it, and sometimes adjust the saturation to make the colours richer - but I'm very careful to try and keep the colour just as we actually saw it in real life.

Then Mrs. F.G. came in, looking over my shoulder as I was editing, and told me they were too dull!  So while she stood there I adjusted the brightness and saturation until she thought I had it right.  So what you see above is what the two of us thought were the actual colours, and they were really bright!


15 comments:

  1. Bright and beautiful, those glorious autumn shades. We get those deeper colours a long way further south where the winters are a LOT colder than here .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can understand people wanting to live in that area but I can only imagine what they are paying for that land these days. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder why cameras dull down the colors that we see as bright, and then have to adjust with concentrations of colors in the editing process... Loved seeing these, and they do look just right. Some people go overboard on their color enhancement and it looks just garish. You did it right by my book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning! I especially like the large photo of the "opposite slopes", no matter there is a light standard. It's frame worthy in my estimation.
    We have melting snow today. If I can't have colorful autumn foliage, I'll take the melting. :)
    Oh, and it jus occured to me - you can use BTW two ways.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful trip! I enjoyed that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful Autumn colour, great pictures.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely beautiful colors. People in most other parts of the world don't know what they're missing in the way of the fall colors of northeastern North America. We do have some busses full of tourist from Europe, Asia and the southern U.S. come through the area to see the fall colors, but they're mostly on their way somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great color in your area. Thanks for showing us some awesome photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fantastic display of colour! It's always tricky to get the balance of contrast and colour saturation just right - I've seen photos from professional photographers that are a lot less believable than your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We really enjoyed the tour, and the colours looked great! C&G

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a leaf-peeping ride you had!
    I usually want to present things as they were, but if it happens to be a dull day. I might sometimes brighten it up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely stunning autumn colors! I love seeing them, they bring a smile to my face. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Views like this can make the spirits soar. I especially like seeing the reds.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, true Autumn colors they are. You do live in a remarkably beautiful area and I am envious. I well understand the photographic challenges of true colors and how careful one has to be in the editing process. You and I don't have the best editing programs but we do the best we can with what we have and I think you do a great job. Keep up the good work:))

    ReplyDelete
  15. What wonderful colors! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete