Tuesday, November 21, 2023

Favourite Fall Hikes I - Spirit Rock

We're getting to the time of year when I don't get out enough to have current things to post about; yes, 'wheelchair winter' has begun!  But I've got hundreds of photos and great memories of past hikes.  This year I'm drawn to those so I'll be using some of them when I don't have more current things to write about.  Hope you enjoy them. 

It was 9 years ago that I went up to  Wiarton with a friend to hike into Spirit Rock Conservation Area along the Bruce Trail near Wiarton.  Looking back I realize that November and even December were favourite hiking times for me .  I quickly came up with 10 past hikes that I could share with you, so here goes.

 This big tree marked the start of our hike, and beyond it the old barn foundation which we'll revisit later.

It was a typical mid-November day, cold and clear, the trees leafless but the ground covered.

A highlight of this property is a spiral staircase down the cliff!  It's sort of dizzying looking straight down, but one step at a time it's an easy and safe way down the vertical cliff.  And this is the Bruce Trail, marked by that white blaze.

When we got down there we got this spectacular view out Colpoy's Bay, Wiarton out of sight to our right.  This is the narrowest and deepest bay on the east shore of the Bruce Peninsula; you're looking out a good 10 or 15 km..  We walked down the shore trail a fair distance before turning back to that spiral staircase.

Back above the cliff we found the other unique feature of this conservation area, the ruins of the Corran.  Built in the 1880s by local businessman Alexander MacNeill, it was quite the mansion in its time.  

Now it's a ruin, but stabilized so visitors can see it, it reminds you of an earlier era.

Eventually we made our way back to that barn foundation near the start of our hike.  The Bruce Trail has benefitted from many large donations which have allowed the purchase of properties for the trail.  To recognize those donors they erect small plaques like these.  The Peninsula Bruce Trail Club has chosen to group a number of these here beside the old foundation.

The legend of Spirit Rock is that a native maiden fell in love with an enemy chief.  Shunned by her family she leapt to her death from the cliff to the rocks below.




15 comments:

  1. That is a lovely hike with great history! The staircase is a great addition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A sad story but a beautiful view and trail. Tales of previous years are so important, to us too, as we don't get to hike or stay in a campsite now.Lots of photos, and memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's fun to remember these wonderful hikes. I'll be doing some of that myself this winter. Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So nice remembering this hike with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful stonework, it's good it's being kept in good condition. There must be scores of legends about broken-hearted lovers leaping to their deaths or hanging themselves from the old oak tree.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been down there when visiting my pal Cindy from Wiarton. November is one of my favorite hiking times too, As long as the day is clear. Ones view is much longer this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a pleasant adventure to look back upon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to love those fall hikes...and this one does look lovely. I'd also enjoy the ruined buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful memory! I love the pictures, picnic table site and of course, the staircase!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful memories of the hike you enjoyed. That staircase is totally unexpected, but what an interesting feature. I do love old stone buildings - my brother's house was built of fieldstone in the early 1900's.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely memories and photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Knowing the area you were in I thought the name Spirit Rock sounded familiar but it wasn't until I saw the first photo of the red spiral staircase that I knew I had been there and walked on that very beach. I remember the old house ruins as well. I think it was back about 1989 that I was there and I think it was the same day myself and a friend hiked to those mammoth caves nearby.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The story is tragic, but the route and scenery are breathtaking. This is something that is very important to us as well, because we do not have the opportunity to go hiking or stay at a camping at the moment. Plenty of photographs and recollections!

    You are welcome to read my most recent post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, I feel dizzy just looking at that staircase!

    ReplyDelete