Thursday, December 15, 2022

The Crevice Hike

One of my favourite hiking memories is of my hike through a crevice on the Bruce Trail just a few months before I ended up paralyzed, so this was in 2017 .  I had read of this crevice being particularly narrow and thought it would be interesting to see.  It's not too far away.  Crevices along the Bruce Trail are deep and often narrow cracks in the dolostone bedrock along the face of the Niagara Escarpment. 

It was easy to follow the trail, though the day was grey, cold and damp. 

The mosses and ferns were still bright green on the forest floor.

And then we came to the warning, the only one I've ever seen along the trail.  And my hiking buddy did admit that he was a little claustrophobic.  He actually stayed above, on the bypass trail, while I jumped down into the crevice. 

The entrance was quite easy. 

Then I found myself down in a narrow corridor, with vertical rock walls hemming me in.  

It did get narrower at that point, but only for 30 feet or so.

Still I could see how someone with a tendency toward claustrophobia could feel uncomfortable.

And then the trail burst out into the open, not a big deal at all.  As I recall my buddy did hike through the crevice with me on the return trip.  I guess he figured if I could make it safely he could too. 

We did go on a bit further, to the point where a large spring emerges at the bottom of the slope.

This is one of those remarkable escarpment springs where there is a disappearing stream above the slope.  Almost all year long the water drains down through the bedrock and forms the spring at the bottom.  But in early spring when water flow is high it tumbles down over these boulders to the bottom. 

This photo is from a slightly different angle, but it shows the waterfall that exists only for a week or two in spring.  I got this shot on a hike the year before in early spring.  I always think of this hike at this time of year. 


15 comments:

  1. That’s pretty awesome. I’m glad you got to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that must have been so cool. I'd have jumped down there with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting and beautiful place, a good memory to have. Down here we have a similar narrow passage in an ares called The Labyrinth, but the bedrock is a fine-grained siltstone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see why it was one of your favorite areas to hike. The rock formations are diverse and have such random shapes. The crevice is narrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember when you did this hike in 2017. I was awestruck by it then, and find it still an amazing bit of natural wonder. Thanks for sharing it again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like a wonderful spot to hike, with lots to see and enjoy. Now, as far as the crevice goes, I probably wouldn't risk it because this short, rotund body of mine would likely get stuck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a great trail! Don’t think I’d try walking through that crevice. Fond memories indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome memory. Something we have never done or never will do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would stay in the open, too narrow for me. Those green ferns, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. To the best of my recollection I have never found myself claustrophobic outdoors, but in recent years crowded situations like the theatre give me mild concern. Not enough to deter me from going but we do it less frequently than before.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember you taking us on that hike first time around, but it's good to see the photos again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Karst topography. I am forgetting my names, something like clints and grikes? No, that can’t be right.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a cool hike. Similar to slot canyons of the SW but very, different as well. Love the seasonal waterfall!

    ReplyDelete
  14. an exciting hike but i am not sure i would have ever been able to walk the. that little waterfall at the end is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete