Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Happy Winter Solstice

Happy Solstice!  I don't actually pay much attention to New Years Eve.  Dec. 21st, the winter solstice, is much more fitting as the turning point of the year, for tomorrow the days start to get longer again!  It will be slow at first, but within a few days I can tell the difference, and it portends so much to look forward to!  

One year, back at our last house, I actually dragged myself out of bed early enough to catch the solstice sunrise, far to the southeast, the trees in our fencerow framing it nicely.

It was fun watching the pre-dawn sunrise, dreaming that there were a few druids in the trees nearby watching it with me!

And then finally, 15 minutes later, after all the colour had faded (the best colour is always pre-dawn), the sun broke the horizon.  From now until June 21st it would move higher in the sky and the days would be longer.  That's what I'm thinking of today!

P.S.  Barbara asked what the silhouette of a bird in my first photo of the last post was.  It's a decal of a small hawk, stuck on the glass, intended to scare the small birds away before they crash into the window.  I'm not sure if it works or not, but I'm willing to try.








14 comments:

  1. Just think, spring is on its way -- it will just take a little while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for explaining the silhouette of the hawk. I love your photos today. I of course don't have a view now where the sun rises or sets...but I started marking the place that it shines the furthest in my house...on the floor in one place, I don't know where in this one. Then of course on summer solstice it won't even shine under the eves into the windows...oh, maybe at dawn. Now I have a goal in 6 months, thank you very much! Me too, this is the big holiday when our earth does her thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful skies. Always amazing how fast the sky changes!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right now, I want that light to happen quickly. We had our two coldest days of winter (thus far) this week with windchills in the -40's. I'll be glad to have a few minutes extra daylight soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are going to drop into the lowest of negative temperatures tomorrow morning so I will not be taking photos. I already declared that I am not going to clear walks at -9 degrees F. No one will be walking by with their dog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to enjoy those winter sunrises when I worked on the farm, though I was usually about half-way through feeding the pigs at that time. You got some great sunrise photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are right about the pre-dawn light, and your photos prove it. Happy solstice+1.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, happy solstice and looking forward to seeing more light in the sky, soon now, And happy holidays of all sorts! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy solstice ... beautiful photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so much already looking forward to longer days and Wiarton Willy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. gorgeous!! i usually sleep through the sunrise so it is nice to see it!!!

    ReplyDelete