Thursday, December 29, 2022

2022, the Year That Was

I do enjoy doing a review-of-the-year post, and this year I have two.  This is the first, not necessarily great photos, but things that mark out the year for me, and were perhaps significant in '22.  Hope you enjoy them!

For several months a year, this is my view of the outdoors, although not always bright and sunny.  I always look forward to the days in February and March when we get these bright sunny cloudless skies.

By March, the willows are turning a bright yellow, and the dogwoods a bright red.  Those are among the earliest signs of spring.

And soon after that we start watching for the return of the Sandhill Cranes.

By April I'm out for my first ride and this year I spotted these large bright sunflowers, symbolic of support for the Ukrainian people.

At the same time, the first of our garden flowers is out, and it's a favourite of mine, the Dwarf Iris, such a brilliant blue colour.

In late May things take a dramatically different turn.  The world has turned green, spring flowers are out, and we're off to ride down Lilac Lane, a stretch of the Georgian Trail bordered by Lilacs.

June is, among other things, strawberry season, and as she always does, Mrs. F.G. makes strawberry jam.

by July the 'flowers of the field' (weeds for those who don't appreciate their beauty) are out in full force, and the pale blue Chicory is my favourite among them.

In August we got to Harrison Park in Owen Sound and I got a chance to ride the recently paved One Mile Trail through the woods, my best chance to get out and experience a mature woodland anymore.

I also insisted on at taking a quick look at the Black History Memorial alongside the river.  I always hope it's a visible symbol of tolerance and equality as well as the long history of black settlement in the area.

Similarly I hope the 'Seven Feathers' crosswalk that was painted downtown this year is a visible symbol of reconciliation, considering the much longer history of indigenous people here.

In October when we went for our annual fall colour drive I got one of my best shots ever of the Old Baldy cliffs with the multi-hued forest spread down the slope below.

Then it was suddenly November when I caught this sunrise shining on the forest across the way.

And you already know the story of the great blizzard of Christmas '22; over the next week it promises to all melt!



 

21 comments:

  1. That's a nice photographic review of the year, from strawberry jam to the war in Ukraine -- quite the variety.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great monthly review. I viewed it and will return another day and view it again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely calendar these would make, FG.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a magnificent gathering of photos from the year. I love them all, but some shout out to be viewed again and again! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That October Escarpment view is my favourite of these.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a nice way to review the year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done except starting and finishing with snow. Kidding, Snow is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All lovely photos, and I recall seeing most of them. I do hope this past weeks snow will be just a memory soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice photo description of the years.

    ReplyDelete
  10. August, so beautiful with a canopy of delicate greenery, but December surpassed all the previous months for drama, seclusion, and tragedy, as well as the bravery so many showed as they risked their lives to help others. A monthly memory that shows how the changes ring out in the landscapes near you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great recap of 2022. I think the November picture is my favourite, with the sunrise making the trees gold.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely reflection of the past Year. I know I have remained MIA after a failed attempt, but I think I have got it this time, as I "felt" it within. Looking forward to reading all your future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love reading everyone's year end recaps! A nice collection of photos and memories. I especially liked your fall colors photo. Happy New year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A nice year end recap indeed and I do believe I remember some of those photos you have taken. So lets hold onto our britches now and see what kind of a whirlwind year 2023 will be eh:))

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am just new to your blog this very evening ...12-30-22!
    Your pictures highlighting each month is such a novel recap of the year. I really like that format.
    Your blizzard pictures are pretty spectacular, too! I am in S. Colorado and we get snow, just not that much all at once!
    I look forward to following you in the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  16. your colour is lovely in these pictures. The last one is certainly a shock...........I'm glad it doesn't happen too often anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a marvelous record of pleasures and fascinating places encountered over the year! I marvel at how you find such goodness to focus on. Thank you for sharing your sense of wonder with us.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a nice look back on 2022, sending my good wishes to you and Mrs FG for 2023.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  19. i really enjoyed this post!! do you favor the color purple?? gorgeous purple flowers you have shared!! happy new year my friend, to both you and the mrs.!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great set of photos! Best wishes for the new year!

    ReplyDelete