Monday, December 5, 2022

I got Interviewed!

A few weeks back while downtown I discovered I had lost the book bag that hangs on the back of my wheelchair when I go to the library.  And it had two library books in it!  I frantically retraced my route along the block back to the library with no luck.  As I was asking the librarians if they had seen it, a kind young woman standing nearby said she thought she had seen it and offered to go looking for it.

Soon she was back with it (our main downtown is only one block long), and I got to meet an interesting lady who works for the town.  While I thanked her profusely for rescuing me, we got to chatting and eventually she asked if I'd like to be interviewed about my use of the library.  Of course I said yes!

So Friday was the interview and Mrs. F.G. kindly drove me downtown.  I had to go to the bank first; they still haven't got our credit cards sorted out six weeks after our accounts got hacked.  Then I rode across to the library and headed for the reading room to wait.  My interviewer arrived soon after.

We sat and chatted for an hour and a half about the importance of the library in the community, while listening to the loud voices of young children in the background.  I'm well aware that not everyone goes to the library, but books have always been an important part of our family, as well as my career.  When we were travelling across country with young children, the reward for good behaviour in the car was a trip to the next bookstore we found.

Today I love coming to the library both to sign out books (I always have at least one book on the go), and to visit the reading room where I catch up on magazines I otherwise would not see.  I'm particularly fond of reading Macleans, Canada's national news magazine.   And the librarians are always helpful, putting books in and out of my book bag, which I can't actually reach myself.

This library is where I feel myself part of the community.  It's free, it's totally accessible, and a bright airy space where you can get help if you need it.  I think the renovations to the old grocery store transformed it into a great public library, and of all the public facilities in town, it makes me feel connected.

The small news item based on ,y interview will appear in the magazine-style program listing the municipality puts out in the spring, covering all recreation programs in town.  And yes, the library is part of that, as the loud voices of the young children reminded us.

And here's an 'official portrait' to accompany the article!






   

18 comments:

  1. Books have been a huge part of my life as long as I can remember. My Mum and Dad were readers too, but I am guessing they grew up where there wasn't a library, until school days maybe, and buying books would have not been an option back then. What a wonderful young lady , I have seen the new Halifax library on another friend's posts, a huge complex. Here our local one is Okay, but sometimes I long for a larger one with more options.We can access the larger one in the next larger town, and pay $2 per book, or copy pages if we want to.Can you always find the book you are looking for? And are there ample choices?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just visited your library, what a list of events to come, a very comprehensive place to be able to visit. Enjoy it. The wonders of the internet world over.!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must confess that I don't use it a whole lot. I have discovered that they often don't have what I want or at least not when I want it. I have got some ebooks from them from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Libraries are vital to a community. You could get rid of all the synagogues, churches and mosques, but keep the libraries. I will visit my local branch tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Books have always been part of my life and as a family we have always encouraged reading ...
    I am so pleased to see that the grandchildren enjoy reading too.

    I do like the 'official portrait' photograph of you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good photo of a famous gnome. Yes, libraries are an important part of a community, and books have always been important to our family. H and I each almost always have a book in progress and H reads an excerpt from one to me after supper each night, a nice tradition. We're members of "Friends of the Library" which both supports the library financially and runs two used book sales each year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the interview. I agree the library is an important hub of the community. When I was a child, we went to the library every Saturday afternoon to return books and check out new ones for the week. I got out of that habit as an adult. But I recently got a library card, and attend the weekly Stitch and chats. The more time I'm there I see how much it is used; there is a children's area, study carells, accessible computer stations, and books and more to borrow.
    Nice photo too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Also a bibliophile...if that means I love books, and libraries. I think it's the basis of some of my friendships actually...looking for good books, sharing them between us! I either have audio or digital books from the library on line, or have a paper and ink book to read before I go to sleep. And if it's a good one, it will sneak into other times of my day. So I frequently will blog (like today) about a book I've read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You gave a good plug for your library.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree about libraries. Our library is well used and is a great facility!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Isn't that sweet? We enjoy our library, too. For all those reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I also visit libraries here, usually the main branch, and usually three or four times a week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on getting interviewed. Abbotsford has 2 lovely libraries, one within walking distance so we go often. When our kids were young we used to go with one of those handi-pack boxes, meant for apples, full of books to return and then fill to take home.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great story! And I'm sure your interview will be a great article too. After not having used my local library for years, I got a new card two months ago, and am now checking out and reading library books again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. In my hometown of Tavistock Ontario we had a Carnegie Library and I loved going there as a kid. I even loved the smell of of the old building with all it's books and wooden interior. I remember those trays you had to pull out with all the indexing cards. And I remember the quietness. Loved that old library. The building still stands but I'm not sure if it is a library any more. That is a great photo of you. The only time I ever got interviewed was at a police station once when I had to take a breathalyzer test way back in the bad old days.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looking good! How nice of the lady to find your book bag! Since Covid I have only been in the Library once. I have been ordering books from Thrift books and when done sharing with others:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. this is wonderful my friend!! i just recently got a library card and joined a book club!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice photo! I love libraries and used to volunteer in one.

    ReplyDelete