Wednesday, June 8, 2022

One Last Garden Post (For Now)

The blooms are unfolding fast here and I wanted to share a few last garden photos before moving on to other things. It's the Peonies and Lupins in bloom right now, and here are the best of them.  I wheedled myself over to the kitchen sink after breakfast, raised my chair about 6" (it does that), and looking out the window saw a bright red and pink patch of Peonies.  Wonderful!

I got out there as soon as I could.  This was my view out the window, though that back red Peony was still in sun an hour earlier.  Stunning!

Mrs. F.G. had taken these two pictures earlier for me.  She was impressed too.  This is only the second year these plants have been in.

I do like close-ups of the blooms, so I did what I could with my little iphone camera.  We only grow the 'single' Peonies, so the bees can get in to feed on the nectar.  'Double' blooms may look pretty but they prevent the bees from feeding.

This is the first year we've grown Lupins, though they were seeded last fall.  They're just scattered individual plants so far, but Lupins self-seed, so we're hoping for more as the years go by

Now it's on to my rides around town.





12 comments:

  1. Peonies would be among my favourites, but after a rainfall I love the way the drops settle in the lupin leaves. We had a lot at our previous home, but your colours are deeper, as they are in the far south down here Maybe a colder winter is the reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a wonderful time of year! Well done both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always enjoyed seeing wild lupines along the highways in northern Minnesota. Your blooms are wonderful. You do need to put a few blooms on the side once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The peonies are so nice and the lupins are a new favorite of mine. I put in a peony last year and was thrilled to find it growing this year. Went looking for lupins today but I couldn't find the blue ones - seeing your multi-colored I may go back and pick up those seeds. :)

    Enjoy your ride!

    ReplyDelete
  5. While I've never liked peonies and would never plant them, lupines are one of my favorites even though they don't do well in our heavy clay soils.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a delightful composition, first and second of the same scene, but different lighting! I like all these flowers, they all look so healthy and joyous. Thanks for sharing these colorful lovelies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I admire your choice of single peonies, and I'm sure the bees also approve. Lupins self-seed well in gardens here, but oddly they don't seem to survive for long in the wild.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The only place that I know of near here that grows lupine is out there on a rural property. I should get out there. Last year I learned from the gardener that his all came from seeds taken from Down East.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous. I think I won't have Lupine flowers this year as the plants are only a couple of inches high.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Peonies are so lovely. I only have one and it's a double white one. Full of buds and waiting for a sunny day ( as am I).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely fabulous, such wonderful garden colour.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's always an exciting time of the year to see all the colorful Spring flowers blooming. I had forgotten all about Lupines until I saw your pictures.

    ReplyDelete