Tuesday, April 5, 2022

I Think Spring Has Sprung!!

 A mere week ago today almost the street sweeper came down the street!  The street sweeper is now my sign of spring, ahead of the Robins, which arrive about the same time.   You have no idea what a big difference the street sweeper makes for a power wheelchair user.  Winter's grit is the worst!                                                                                 

My favourite sign of spring, and it's loud so I can tell when it's coming.

There were even three squirrels playing on the grass.

But then winter came back with a light coating of ice which melted quickly.  Looked rather pretty while it was here, and it wasn't enough to bother the roads.

But then winter returned again, this time with real blowing snow for a moment or two.

Then the sun came out and all the snow soon melted.  I'm not going to bother you with pictures, but it went through this cycle three times in the week while I've been recovering from pneumonia - snow to bare ground, back again, and so on, after all it's the first week of April here.

The Daffodils out front got snowed on three times, strengthening them for their spring bloom.

Then the snow went again and the Robins were hopping around.  We have a pair who look like they will nest nearby.

And here we are today.

But it's the forecast that matters, highs of up to 17°C in the coming week and only one night that goes down as low as freezing.  There's even some sunshine in the forecast!  Of course we'll still get the odd bit of snow, but temperatures are warming up, flowers are showing above the dirt, and that means spring is here.  I might even get out for a ride!!




15 comments:

  1. I hope you’ll be able to get out and about soon, FG. The streets are ready!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crazy April weather. Let's hope for less of the cold snowy days and more of the sunny 17 kind!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to hear the street sweeper has gotten the pavement ready for you! I look forward to hearing all about that first trip after your illness. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a handy dandy road sweeper. I looked again at yr.no and Meaford is still cold by our standards, down here rain, and cool morning for Wednesday.Soon you will be back to cruising the streets and finding your favourite cafe again .

    ReplyDelete
  5. You must be feeling some better, that is wonderful news. No robins here yet, I thought I heard one the other day but it is in hiding if it is here. Enjoy the lovely weather coming your way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you've improved quite a bit and the street is clean -- hope you can get out for a ride. Our daffodils are beginning to bloom -- spring's arrived.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've had a very nasty stretch of weather. I hope you didn't put your winter tires away.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember living in the city and hearing the street sweeper in the wee hours of the morning. At first it woke me up but I got used to it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw and photographed crocuses yesterday — to be posted tomorrow. It makes sense that the sweeper makes a difference to you although, of course, I had never considered that before.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay for Spring street sweepers and yes your right, Spring has sprung.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you should write a letter to the street sweeper office and praise them and tell them how important their work is to you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. your weather is just like ours, all over the place and so unpredictable!! and you can't count on the weather people!!

    our squirrels are like maniacs right now, chasing each other all over the place!! it's good they sweep your streets, i didn't realize how much that would help you, but it surely makes sense!! i hope you are feeling better!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Street sweepers here still wait awhile longer.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so happy to see that golf course green again. My Minnesota blog friend keeps getting snow dumped on them. I saw flurries this morning but nothing stuck. Our strong winds are miserable. I went out and took spring blooms shots this pm again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's been so upsy downsy!
    I hope the pneumonia is better!

    ReplyDelete