Friday, August 27, 2021

Update at Home

Things are going on as they normally do here at home.  The garden continues to grow, Mrs. F.G. has done a lot of canning and seed collecting, and now has taken up dehydrating various fruits and veggies.  I sit in the garden almost every morning, and go for a ride later on.  My coffee group has morphed into a lunch group once a week, which I'm really enjoying.

Things are so overgrown in parts of the garden at this time of year I can hardly put my coffee down without getting it in the Marigold leaves.  But it's nice when it's warm enough to sit out there every morning.

I sometimes sit on the patio and gaze up into the maple tree, dreaming about having a tree fort up there.

Meanwhile Mrs. F.G. did a burst of canning, not having made any jam this year ( I think our shelves are still full of jam).  Now they're full of relish, anti-paste, salsa, and beet pickles, all things we will enjoy a lot.

It's also the time of year for seed collecting.  Mrs. F.G. grows a lot of seedlings inside in early spring, so collects seed from the best plants that we like, and carefully dries and labels them for next year.

And now she has bought herself a serious dehydrator.  So far she has tried tomatoes, chopped peaches, and blueberries.  Now she's trying rhubarb.  I expect she'll enjoy this hobby for years to come, a good one for the cooler months.

A few weeks ago she clipped off the blooms of several plants, including the beautiful Cleome.  I was skeptical, but she reassured me that they would bounce back with more blooms then ever, and they have - she was right.

The Sweet William, which had only 3 or 4 blossoms before she dead-headed it, is the same.

Meanwhile the green beans (3 different types), which were planted very late, have grown like mad and we've been eating them for a week now.  As you can see the yellow single Marigolds have flourished too.

Here's an interesting flower, a Nicotine plant that has completely green flowers.

And an interesting colour combination with purple Verbena, white Mallow and pink Fall Anemones.  Some flowers just seem to keep blooming forever.

Finally, here's another interesting look at pistils (in the centre) and stamens (around the pistil).  This is our last Clematis to bloom, a very small one with yellow petals.  It grew rampantly in our last garden, crawling over a big shrub and several Peonies, and spreading badly.  We'll be keeping it under control here!


18 comments:

  1. I've been looking at flowers lately, since your lesson on pistils and stamens. Sometimes I can see the difference, and know what I'm looking at, but sometimes I'm in a quandary about what's what. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs FG must really enjoy gardening and preserving and such. This would be taxing work for many if not most.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs. FG is an incredible gardener! She obviously enjoys the time spent outdoors and you both get to enjoy the fruits of her labor. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mrs FG makes me feel quite lazy! In a good way. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That’s a lot of canning. You’re stocked up for this year.

    I’ve considered getting a dehydrator for berries. Hmmm…

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have so many things that you have shared. I really like seeing all the canning going on. Your wife is really ambitious. The flowers are doing very well too. My clematis patially died back from the heat and drought. I never trim back my sweet williams but I sure will now. Fall weather is sort of happening but it really is more drought damage that has killed off a lot of things. My tomatoes are doing well through it all. I would love to live next to you two so we could talk garden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our daughter usually cans a lot, but for two years hasn't been able to find new lids - not the entire tops, just the separate lids. We haven't been able to find any either, and can lids don't have microchips which are also scarce. Mrs. F.G. has a beautiful batch of both flowers and veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a serious kind of dehydrator! Ours is very plain but works fine too.
    I enjoyed the garden tour. Everything is doing great. I need to do more deadheading. Many flowers are very overgrown and need cutting back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your garden is looking lovely.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed all the photos and your words!
    That tree looks like a perfect place for a treehouse. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wildly magnificent garden. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I bet if your name was Jack you would be already planning a trip up that big bean stock. I too still think about tree houses having been a part of building one over 60 years ago. That's gotta be pretty nice living with a master gardener canning person.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad to hear that things are going "normally". I pick and freeze a few blackberries but your wife's efforts are superhuman.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mrs. F.G. is pretty incredible but I don't have to tell you that! That's a ton of canning and all those things sound wonderful to have for winter stock. ;)
    Her gardens are lovely and she has the green thumb and patience to plan, create and nurture every one. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  15. mrs. fg is so incredible (that's what i had planned to say) she has so many great hobbies and talents!! the gardens look great...i lost all of my wildflowers when they put the new deck in. i will have to reseed next year, but i must say i was very sad to see them all gone!!

    as to my blog and all of my bird pictures. i have a great zoom lens on my camera, a nikon coolpix B700. it's older now, they have newer ones. my bird feeders are suction cuped to the windows so it's pretty easy for me to get the pictures i do!! and thanks for the always so complementary comments!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My, your garden is productive! Keep on enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete