Sunday, August 15, 2021

Expedition to Conn

On Wednesday we drove down to the Misty Meadows Market, a large Mennonite store in the village of Conn.  Mrs. F.G. has made plans to can jars of anti-paste, salsa, relish, red pepper jelly and pickled beets, so she needed a good supply of fresh veggies.  She usually cans a lot of jam, but we don't use it, so she's turning her attention to these, which we love!

We go for the fresh veggies, but the inside of the store is stunning too.  I'm always struck by the beautiful big quilts hanging at the second level under the huge raised ceiling.

There's an in-store bakery with lots of bread, cinnamon buns, Chelsea buns, and of course butter tarts.  And this is the place you buy your baking supplies in bulk, like 20 kg. bags of flour.

The men can shop for a hat that suits them.

And outside I saw a horse and buggy drive up, with a farmer and his young family.

But we go for the veggies.  This is the sort of place where you can buy the right type of tomatoes, in the right size, and in bulk for canning.  You can buy the right size of cukes in bulk too, though Mrs. F.G. is not doing pickles this year.  She did buy her big bag of beets, all a nice medium size

Overhead the wind chimes were ringing softy through the air.  We've watched this place grow from a wagon on the side of the road to a small store to this large store, and we've met the owner many times in the past.  I think he's too busy now!

Oh, and they sell ice cream cones too.


16 comments:

  1. I couldn't resist the butter tarts if I was there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never mind the tarts, I would have some of everything, so fresh, probably NO spray or pesticide, and such rich deep colours. Then the quilts on display, and finally a cone or two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's quite a place. There's a small farm-shop near me and the veg always looks so good that I end up buying more than I really want.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice looking place. Best wishes to you and Mrs FG

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful place to visit, not only for the gorgeous veg but the atmosphere as well. And ice cream cones too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is my absolute favourite kind of store to visit especially at this time of the year when summer is slowly sliding into Fall. Surprisingly here where we have a large Mennonite population there's none such. For fruits and veggies we have a choice of 3 or 4 East Indian markets. Sadly they have no 'atmosphere' although they do have good prices. I guess you can't have everything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like a fun store. I like the hard working values of the people and the style too. My mom use to buy large sacks of flour to bake bread and pies for a family of six.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have so many beans this year I may preserve some. That market is a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I almost went right through my computer screen after those butter tarts. I like stores like that. Ice cream too ya say. Oh boy, where's my car keys:))

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful place! I especially love those gorgeous quilts. And all the delicious looking veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful quilts. This certainly is the time of year for fresh veggies -- and did you have an ice cream cone?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the quilts! There are some Mennonite stores about an hour from here. I got a great deal on a handmade quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never heard of Conn, but that store seems quite wonderful. And those butter tarts . . .

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a delightful day out. I so enjoy walking around markets like this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great store! I love those down home vegetable stands. Lovely quilts too.

    ReplyDelete