Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Cup Plant

Before we leave the back part of the garden, let me share one other beautiful plant. the Cup Plant, Silphium perfoliatum.  It grows 5-6 feet tall and features numerous bright yellow flowers like tiny sunflowers.

We had a few of these in our garden, but I've never seen such a luxurious stand as here.

And they kept on blooming forever!  I went down that path numerous times just for the pleasure of seeing them.

The flowers are typical of the Aster family, about 4-5 cm. across, with numerous flowers on small branches at the top of the main stem.

And this is the 'cup',where the base of the large opposite leaves are fused together, catching a drop of water during a rainstorm.  Birds and insects love this plant!


14 comments:

  1. It sure is a beautiful flowering plant. I suppose they need a lot of sun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are definitely beautiful. Ahhh... spring is coming! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They certainly are beautiful; nice to see the photos in the winter when we'll have to wait quite a while to see them in person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just like having bright yellow in a quilt to add some " Zing" they do the same in flowers in a garden. What a backdrop for your photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have guessed it is a member of the Helianthus (sunflower) family, but I usually guess wrong on stuff like that. Nice to see your smiling face!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These grow huge in Florida. Good to see your smiling face.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these! I have a nice grouping.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful, and interesting how they catch water!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those flowers are pretty! They remind me of the balsamroot that bloom in the springtime along the Columbia River Gorge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! I am partial to sunflowers so I love this one too. Thank you for pointing out why it is called the 'cup' plant. :)
    By the way that is a GREAT picture of you F.G. We all needed to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think we have some of those Cup Plants in our garden at home. Had dug them up from somewhere years ago but never knew the name of them. Great photo of you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So pretty and that is a nice stand of blooms:)

    ReplyDelete