Friday, September 4, 2026

Monarch Butterfly!

 We hadn't seen any Monarchs for a week or two, though we did see some caterpillars.  We never did see a chrysalis, but the adult butterflies seemed to have disappeared.  Then out of the blue we've been seeing a couple of Monarchs fluttering around the garden the past two days.  I'm making the assumption that these are newly hatched butterflies.

Then one landed on a Verbena flower, though it was 50 feet away, so the photo is blurred around the edges.  I thought it must have a preference for the Verbena.

I waited patiently until it opened its wings and got a good shot.  It was brilliant orange, like a newly hatched butterfly!

But then it flittered around until it landed on a Mexican Sunflower.  If I hadn't seen it land I wouldn't have spotted it.

Again I waited a few minutes until it spread its wings.  Beautiful!

Actually the second shot I got for the entire morning was this one, a perfect capture of early fall.  Sorry, Blogger just won't allow me to space this correctly.

13 comments:

  1. Blogger is dumb. Your photos are stupendous! That butterfly is gorgeous. Thanks for being patient and continuing to look. That was great. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blogger certainly is dumb! There are times I have felt like throwing my iPad out of the window! Nice to see some Monarch butterflies in your garden. It’s been a better year for butterflies here. Mostly cabbage whites (used to be incredibly common) but a few prettier ones. Lots better than last year when I think I only saw one. After about two months when North London was apparently transported to North Africa (far too hot and cloudless skies) we are back to nearly normal but still very dry. I read it’s going to be worse next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are starting to migrate. There are a couple of dozen on all my zinnia patches. It is thrilling to stand in a cloud of Monarchs! I have never seen so many together at once.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How delightful. You got some well-focused shots, which is not easily done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful photos! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always nice to spot those pretty butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many blogs are sharing butterfly pictures today and I love it. Butterflies are my favorite. Loved the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have not seen a monarch for several years.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've not seen caterpillars or chrysallis for a few years but the Monarchs are always around. When they land, by the time I get ready to snap the picture, they are gone. Your pictures are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We've had a few monarchs, but nowhere close to what we saw years ago. Blogger's sometimes quite frustrating to those of us who post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am seeing a few more Monarchs this Fall than over the Summer. I dislike seeing them when I am driving down the road!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful photographs on your post here.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete