The evidence of Meaford's industrial past is mostly hidden from the average person, but the Tidbits project is making it more visible. All the main factories of the earlier 20th century were in waterfront locations, and I'm not sure if any of them are still standing. I've already shown you the 'blue box', built on the site of the old foundry.
A block over, down at the bottom of nelson Street this vacant lot is the site of the old Planing Mill.The little Tidbits plaque links to an excellent description, complete with before and after photography. You can even use the QR code directly off the computer screen. If you've been hesitant to learn how, try it now; just point your phone's camera at the QR square on the screen and look for the yellow bar that appears below.
In the years since the factory was torn down nature has started reclaiming the property. Even just a few years ago I remember seeing this property crowded with sailboats up for winter storage. I'm sure that in a few years fancy apartments will rise here, overlooking the bay.
Although I can't access the far side of the harbour without driving over a rough gravel stretch, there was once a grain elevator for storing and shipping grain. It was built in 1901, but sadly, it burned down only 12 years later It's been some years since a ship that size could visit the harbour!
This is approximately the same view today. The grain elevator would have been right in the center of this photo
Approximately where the Rotary Pavilion sits today was the old train station. Originally the railway line came straight into town from the southeast, ending on top of 'Station Hill'. Once there was a demand from the factories around the shoreline it was redesigned down a gentle grade into the harbour and around the outer shoreline to a turntable where engines could be turned to head back down the line. This was the passenger station built at that time. Passenger service continued until 1965, with freight service for a few years after that. There were three further factories around the outer shoreline, well beyond wheelchair reach. I'm not sure much is left of them today, and one of them was on a site now being redeveloped for residential use. The Tidbits site has more detailed information on these three sites . They were all wood-working factories, making respectively hardwood flooring, general furniture and cabinets, and wheelbarrows.
There aren't any active factories left today, but I shouldn't leave out the last commercial fishing boat, the H.G. Wheeler, a boat that is often seen here. It's down from the Saugeen First Nation community on Cape Croker, and appropriately has their 'Every Child Matters' flag flying. with Orange Shirt Day coming up soon on Sept. 30th.







History everywhere. I did need to Google " Planing Mill" that would have been a huge industry for timber used in building and carpentry and joinery, milled to exact dimensions.Love the old railway station, what a grand building that was. Turntables, many years ago I stayed with a friend in Onehunga, a suburb of Auckland, and we went to work on the tram. Her street was at the end of the line, so we stayed on the tram, watched the engine spin on the turntable and be ready for the morning trip. Probably 1954, true sherbet dabs in little paper bags, with real liquorice straws, 3 for one penny!!! How life changes in even one person's lifetime. I do enjoy your history posts.
ReplyDelete