Friday, August 18, 2023

Sunflowers!

This is the time of year that fields of sunflowers burst into bloom here, if you're lucky enough to spot one in your travels.  We've been out ands about a bit, so we've come across no fewer than three fields of them, though we haven't got out to take a look because my wheelchair is so heavy it would simply get stuck.

The first spot was a very small patch of sunflowers, at the Bethesda corner just west of town.  The little old church and one-room schoolhouse still stand, though now converted into residential use.

These were certainly looking sunny!

Another day we were in Thornbury and stopped for the pick-your-own raspberry farm.  Across the front of the raspberry field was a thin band of sunflowers.

We didn't expect to find these, so it was a nice surprise.

The third spot was over past the small village of Hepworth, the turning point for those headed north to Tobermory and those headed west to Sauble Beach.

This was a large field, advertised on Facebook and charging for admission, but it was one with a long trail on sand and we were worried I'd get stuck fast!  The view from the road was good too though..

And this is the sunflower field here at home, only one plant that was seeded by the squirrels and has since been entirely eaten by the squirrels!


19 comments:

  1. The animals are eating the sunflowers along the salt marsh too. The faces of these flowers always make me smile. Lots of smiles in this post, FG.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sunflowers, I think we all love them. Such happy flowers!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suppose if the squirrels planted them, they are due the harvest too. :)
    We don't have sunflower fields here, just those planted in yards by gardeners and squirrels. They look so wonderful in a mass like that. What a treat to see!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never seen a whole field of Sunflowers but how wonderful they look in your shots. Squirrels know how to prepare for the days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! These are great photos of fabulous summer eye candy. Loved seeing them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, tis definitely the season for Sunflowers in our areas and you have some mighty fine photos of them too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sunflower fields are impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love the sunny faces! I would love to find a you pick raspberry patch again, the one we used to go to closed down:(

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are such a treat to see. I'm glad that I got to one field this year, even if it wasn't for the best of photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That field of sunflowers would make a great poster. I Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They're beautiful. A few years ago near here a 50 acre field was planted to sunflowers, when they bloomed the display was truly impressive. They were never harvested and were there until spring when the field was planted to corn. I never did find out why they were left. I've only seen one other large field of sunflowers here in over 50 years.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just love sunflower fields. Looks like you spotted a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is a wonderful time of year! I love the yellows.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is quite a sight to see the sunflower fields. They are growing them in our state now as a tourist attaction for even the locals. You have some great shots. Makes my five sunflowers look pathetic. A fun outing for you two.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very pretty! There is a sunflower field near here, but when I was there a few weeks ago, they were just starting to bloom, and something in the adjoining field (probably corn pollen) give me uncontrollable sneezing, so I have not been back

    ReplyDelete