Wednesday, August 16, 2023

Monarchs!

Every year we allow a few Milkweed plants to grow in our garden, hoping they will attract some Monarch butterflies, and they do.  This year is no different, and with diligent searching Mrs. F.G. has found a young caterpillar or two.  We didn't catch every stage of the process, but I caught one of the Monarchs just after it had emerged.

Here is the new butterfly, resting on an old Iris leaf.  It took me a long time to get it clear in my head, but although Monarchs only lay their eggs on Milkweed leaves, they will feed on any available flower, so our garden has both.

This was one of the first Monarchs I actually saw and photographed this year, resting on a Butterfly Weed blossom.

And this was the first view of a caterpillar Mrs. F.G. found.

She did capture a little closer view of it.

And this is the butterfly just after it had emerged and found a place to sit while exercising its wings.  I watched them alternately folded up and spread wide for quite a while.  That's how another year's cycle of Monarchs goes, quite special to us.


14 comments:

  1. You were so lucky to spot the newly emerged butterfly. The caterpillar that I saw a couple of weeks ago has disappeared and I have seen no butterfly yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great captures, FG. It is great to see the monarchs returning to the garden. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fortunate that you were right there to see the Monarch emerge!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have some great shots I keep thinking I want to get milkweed to grow but have to get organized and harvest from some country gravel road. I am getting a few monarchs this year but our drought has slowed things in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It has been many years since I last saw a Monarch Caterpillar and so far this year I have yet to even see a Monarch Butterfly. Each year there seems to be less of them. That's a good butterfly shot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Monarchs are showing up here now, but their numbers are still quite low. Viceroys seem almost as abundant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great capture of the new butterfly. They are such beautiful creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just think how that frail insect will fly to the mountains of Mexico for the winter and then will make it part of the way back next spring, hope it has a passport.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so cool! Thanks for the pictures and commentary. I am learning a lot from you these days.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A few years ago, I was fortunate to witness monarchs emerging and flying off. It was rather wonderful. Have I told you this before? I wrote a number of posts. This was the first, I think. https://anvilcloud.blogspot.com/2019/08/monarchs-emerging-from-chrysalis.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are special both the larvae and the emerged butterfly! When we used to have the Greenhouse, the Monarchs and their larvae loved all the Milkweed I grew. Some people wanted larvae on their plants and others asked me to pick the bugs off because they were grossed out...most of the time I gently moved them to another plant and sometimes just said the plant is their home. It takes all kind of people to make the world go round. I like those who like the larvae:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good to see the monarch butterflies. We have swallow tail butterflies in our area in Oregon. I bought a plant this summer that attracts butterflies 🦋, hummingbirds and bees. I see butterflies often but only one. Milkweed might be good to plant as well. I'll try that next year. Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete