Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Our Son, the Pilot

Today was our oldest son's birthday, 45 years ago.  William was an adventurous kid who successfully pursued his dream to become a water bomber pilot.  Every year we stop and remember on his birthday.  This is my favourite photo of him.

Along the way Will had some wonderful adventures, flying in the Arctic and in the tropics as well as across most of Canada.  Each year I sit down and work through the list of posts you can find under the William tab above, just to remind myself.  And while he was still a kid we had some great family adventures, my favourite of which was our time in Banff and Jasper National Parks way back in '86.

Here we are climbing the narrow switchback trail above Lake Agnes to the Beehive, one of the prominent but gentle peaks you can see from Lake Louise.  Ninety percent of the tourists stop after walking 100 yards around the lake, most of the rest fall away when the slope gets steep, perhaps 1% make it as far as the teahouse on Lake Agnes. I've always been impressed that our kids made it not only that far but beyond, up a very steep slope to get to the Beehive, and its spectacular view.  These are Will, his mom and little sister on that steep switchback trail.




12 comments:

  1. May he rest in peace on the wings of angels.Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful memories and photos, FG. Sending a hug across the miles today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you remember your son ... a post full of memories.
    God bless.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your tribute to Will are beautiful and very worthy of an amazing young man.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good memories of Will . Hiking with kids is one of the best things you can do. Much is learned by a steep climb.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I walked partway up. I can’t remember how far. There was a stopping point, I think there was a tea house there. I saw a photoblog of someone who went way way up and got incredible photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry, so remiss of me not to offer condolences. I just got taken up with remembering to trying to remember that hike up form Lake Louise.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a tough day and you honored him well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I think of our son-in-law, dead at 35 of a heart attack, I often recall your wonderful tributes to your son also gone too young.

    ReplyDelete
  10. will, an incredible man, i remember his story and service so well. even as a young man he looks so strong. i love that you share his story and honor him here, and that you include that beautiful picture of him!! may he continue to rest in peace, perhaps with a big piece of birthday cake today!!! my deepest condolences to both of you!!

    ReplyDelete