Friday, May 27, 2022

The Lilac Trail

 On Monday the sun was out and we decided to make our almost annual visit to the Lilac Trail running east of Craigleith.  This is a stretch of the Georgian Trail, formerly the Northern Railway, which brought skiers to the foot of the Blue Mountain in years gone by.  Today it's bordered by lovely Lilacs for 300 yards and many people come to view them every spring at this time.

But it's the fragrnace that provides the most punch.  Sorry it's impossible to reproduce in a blog post!

There are a raft of both white and light mauve bushes.

This is the trail, bordered by Lilacs and plenty wide enough for both wheelchairs and cyclists, of which there were many.  By the way, did you know that bells are required by law in Ontario, and they must be sounded to warn pedestrians and others (including wheelchair users!)?  This is one of those laws that very few people seem to be aware of, let alone adhere to!

The trail is right beside Georgian Bay, with only a short beach and the highway between you and the water.  There's one short gap where you can get a view.

Sadly Garlic Mustard is spreading down the ditch.  I remember spotting just a few plants of it on a past visit; now it extends down 100 yards of the ditch.

It's hard to get close enough to get close-up shots, but the Lilacs look great against the blue sky.

There just one spot on the narrow trail out to the parking where I could get close.

And just to celebrate the occasion, here you are with a picture of me!



19 comments:

  1. I love lilacs! Thanks for sharing your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need a Lilac coat to join that beautiful display. I can imagine the perfume that would be everywhere, what a glorious close up of the blossoms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The aroma of the lilacs must be amazing and the sight must be outstanding. The only place I've seen like that is near our son and daughter-in-law's place where a country road is bordered by about 100 yards of lilac-colored lilacs. Your hat's in better condition than my similar hat which is now beaten and battered.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my that must smell heavenly!!!
    Like your red jacket. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lilacs are blooming here in NH too. None in our yard but some across the street in the Memorial Park.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am stuffed up for most of the spring so don't smell them as much as I used to but their aroma is glorious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That’s quite the lilac path. Great to be able to get out and enjoy it in the community!

    ReplyDelete
  8. No lilacs here yet. Great photo of you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful display. I'm not familiar with anything like that over here, though lilacs grow well enough in gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks impressive and enjoyable. Franktown, a tiny community near us, is holding their Lilac Festival this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous blooms and a sprightly old fella at the end! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't got a sense of smell these days (allergies, not the dread virus) so can imagine that heady perfume from past encounters. I like your powered vehicle...does it have a name? My car used to be Grey Eagle...I guess it still is.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely! None blooming around here. Hi from Dryden.

    ReplyDelete
  14. They are so beautiful, i can almost smell them!!
    Thank you, i miss our lilac tree from London. It was the dark purple.
    Great picture of you know who!❤

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can imagine the aroma of the lilacs easily since my neighbourhood is full of them these days. I was out for a walk last night and it was lovely. Interestingly there were no purple lilacs (or is that lilac lilacs?), just whites. I missed the crab apple blossoms on my neighbour's trees while I was away.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good to see you. The lilac is an amazing shrub with such a great smell. I don't own a single one anymore. My old place had many.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Our Lilacs have just started to bloom! Nice photo of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. gorgeous...lilacs have been my favorite since childhood. next time, smile!!

    ReplyDelete