Saturday, May 7, 2022

The Fox!

I'm glad to report that our resident fox is back.  Mrs. F.G. has spotted it more than once and this morning I saw it, first only partly visible below a rise, and then trotting across the golf course.  We're hoping it will keep the destructive little rabbits in check!  One is repeatedly trying to dig under our shed.

All of these pictures are heavily cropped, but I thought they came out pretty well regardless.  At least it does look like a fox.

The fox passed behind one of the big old Sugar Maples, in front of one of the golf greens, headed west.

It appeared to be hunting as it went, keeping its ears and eyes alert.

At least two of the neighbours report that they've seen kits, like last year.  Unfortunately those same two neighbours report seeing families of baby rabbits in their gardens too.

It turned around to sniff at something in the grass, but didn't appear to catch anything.

If I got a portrait of the fox, this would be it.  I cropped it as much as I felt I could, but even with the big camera it gets blurry.

Then it trotted on and disappeared into the small valley on the far side of my view.

I'm getting out for rides every day now, even though it's still a little cool for my built-in thermometer.  At least it's sunny and we have a week of sun and warm temperatures forecast.


14 comments:

  1. He looks a bit long and lean, and that magnificent bushy tail , it would wrap round his head and keep him warm on a cold night. Hope he does the job with the rabbits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a handsome-looking fox! And yes, the best way to keep the rabbit population in check.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad they are back. It will be fun to watch the kits grow up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Much better the rabbits become a natural part of the food chain than be subject to cruel and usually inefficient human controls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So nice to see the fox. I used to see them all the time where we used to live. I don't think I've ever seen one here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photos. I bet it is hunting if it has young ones. The red foxes have a great color.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful!! I would just sit and click that shutter over and over! Good shots...glad you had a big camera. It was chilly here today, but not cold. I left all the plants outside on the porch!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool to spot a fox in your neighborhood! I hope he gets fat on rabbits.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You got some good pictures of the fox. Poor fox looks quite skinny. Hopefully it discovers the rabbits soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely getting outdoors, isn't it?! (ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fun sighting and photos. Enjoy your rides.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a foxy looking fox alright. Glad to hear you are getting out and scooting all about.

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are good hunters! Rabbits beware! Happy Mother's Day to Mrs FG!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad to see that your fox is back. It's almost certainly out in daylight because it has growing kits to feed and it takes time to get all that food.

    ReplyDelete