Wednesday, May 4, 2022

A Longer Wheelchair Ride

The other day it was warm enough that I bundled up and headed out for a ride here in town.  I went down Nelson St. West, a street I almost gave up on last year because of the 'alligator pavement' which gave me too much discomfort.  This year it wasn't bothering me so much, for whatever reason, so maybe I'll be able to ride down here more often.  Maybe I'm just learning to tune it out.

This house is just around the corner on Collingwood St., and this is the place that I got the idea of planting Daffodils out front at our place.  They just seem so incredibly welcoming for spring.

Starting down Nelson West I passed this house which sold last year.  It appears that the new owner has spent the past several months renovating the house and he's getting to the end of that stage.  It looks well done to me.  This is one of those five homes on the street over 100 years old built in the original gothic revival cottage style.

One of two old tractors on the street which are most visible in April, and probably haven't moved in more than a decade.

One of the other oldest homes, with another nice Daffodil display.

Where they cut down a huge old Sugar Maple last year I was astonished to find a large dense patch of Bloodroot, one of the earliest spring wildflowers in the woods.  The old maple must have cast enough shade to provide for good growing conditions.

And just around the corner at the end of the street, my favourite building on the entire ride, this small old barn.  It's about the size of my grandparents barn, but much better maintained.  Unusually it has an above-ground brick foundation.  Probably just the size for 3 or 4 horse stalls and storage for hay above, from the days a century ago when many still kept a horse or two for transportation.

Heading back home I stopped to get a photo of the small stream valley just before the corner.  And that was the end of my ride - just getting warmed up for summer!






14 comments:

  1. Oh I am so glad you were able to enjoy the ride along the route and take all these great photos! Seriously loved seeing those bloodroots...not to mention a few zillion daffies! And I was surprised those little homes are so old...they look like houses built maybe 50 years ago...though maybe older when I realize the 70s were 50 years ago! What a sweet little stream too. Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! The old home that has been renovated is lovely. I like the little balcony above the bay window especially. No daffodils or tulips have shown their faces yet, but hopefully by the time I get home things will be green.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful you got out for an extended ride. I like the gingerbread on that second house. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you about the Daffodils and I too love to see them. Love that Gothic Revival house!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice that you can get out and enjoy the outdoors and some independence.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Daffodils out near the street, such a welcome sight. The barn, was the far side part of the original home? I guess if heating was difficult, people would live closer to the animals and take advantage of the heat generated there.It looks a good size to me, depends how many cattle would be in the bottom area I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So nice that you got out to enjoy the beautiful spring day.
    Yes, daffodils are a wonderful sign of spring.
    I do like that house that has been renovated.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That barn looks as if the wooden part is too heavy for the bottom brick part. Very unusual.
    That's a lovely patch of Bloodroot. Two pathetic leaves have come up on mine. Not even one bloom. So many hardy perennials didn't make it through the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Spring rides on sunny days are just the ticket for casting off those long winter blahs. Always nice to be outside seeing the many fresh colors and feeling those first bits of warmth in the air. Like you, I too enjoy seeing old barns.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If only there were some blue violets interspersed with the yellow daffodils it would make a great image of solidarity with Ukraine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful old houses. Daffodils are touch of spring sunshine that's always welcome. Surprising that the bloodroot survived -- I'd bet it was planted quite some time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Someone did a really nice job on that old home! Nice to see!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the old barn too. The flowers in front of the houses are a great way to declare spring. I am glad you can get out and travel up town. I was a very long winter. We are suppose to be 90° this next week here in Iowa.

    ReplyDelete