Friday, October 11, 2024

New England Aster

I've thought that September was the month when thousands of goldenrod flowered, but I've changed my mind this year.  Goldenrod (we actually have about a dozen species) start blooming at the beginning of August and i'm waiting into September to see the beautiful purple blooms of New England Aster.  In fact I found myself wondering if all the purple aster had been wiped out, but once early September arrived, there they were.

Once I found them, the closest blossoms for me to photograph were right behind our mailbox!

Altogether these shots come from about four different locations.

Sometimes there are still goldenrod blooming with the asters, a bit of yellow lasting into October.

This is a really unusual goldenrod, looking like little puffballs, but I have been unable to find a name that corresponds.

So now in my books, August is the yellow month and September in the purple month!


Happy Thanksgiving weekend!





1 comment:

  1. Gold and purple, regal colours, and go so well together in those flowers. Super close ups, and what a show for you at this time of the year.

    ReplyDelete