Friday, October 18, 2024

Catching Up to the Fall Colour

Suddenly here it is past mid-October and fall colour is bursting out all around!  I have several posts left from late September that I haven't written yet, but I can always return to those (an apple farm, migrating salmon, and the pumpkin farm), so I'm going to introduce you to some leaves turning colour today, and there will be much more in coming posts.

We headed out for a drive on Tuesday, in hopes of finding some good fall colour to photograph (and perhaps some Sandhill Cranes).  We drove west of Owen Sound instead of down into the valley, and we were successful on both counts.

The colour started immediately but finding bright red trees was much harder/  Those were only the Sugar Maples.

I sometime like to include some big branches in the picture.  Somehow I thin it makes it more striking.

Eventually we got on some real back roads, stopping to say hello to a herd of curious cattle.

And then there they were - a flock of about 100 Sandhill Cranes in the very far distance.  We stopped quickly; there will be more pictures of these unique birds.

There were several stretches of roadside with lines of red Sugar Maples!

Back here at home it's a different story.  I can get close to at least some leaves, and I enjoy taking time to compose my pictures.  It's a challenge getting good shots while driving unless we actually stop.  And some Sugar Maples are yellow, like this one.

Others havwe hearby hydro lines, so you have to select smaller bits of the tree.



And right here in our own backyard the leaves are looking like this these days.  What's your favourite sort of fall colour picture?






2 comments:

  1. I am a fan of really red leaves. You show plenty of that here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like a photo of the trees that line a street, or better still a rural road. I can very nearley see the movement of the leaves in the last few photos. Wonderful that you found the sandhill cranes as well!

    ReplyDelete