Monday, January 16, 2023

Scotland

I've been wondering what to fill this winter's posts with, and I've decided on Scotland (unless you just want pictures of the weather outside our back window week after week).  I've covered the Arctic, Iceland and a variety of other topics the past few years, all while sitting here at my computer to come up with ideas and photos.  This year I'm trying to write a photo book on the two big trips we took to Scotland, so I thought you might be interested too.

This ragged looking rocky hill is one of the most famous sites in Scotland.  Known as Dunadd, it's the site of a fort in the centuries before Scotland existed, capital of the kingdom known as Dal Riata, a diffuse area taking in the north-east corner of Ireland and a large swath of south-west Scotland.  (On a clear day you can see this corner of Scotland from Ireland).
The crest of the hill was where the ancient kings of this kingdom were crowned, placing their foot in a footprint carved in the solid rock, as I tried to do.  Archeological research has revealed evidence of a sea-going kingdom with trade goods from as far away as the Mediterranean - this in the 5th century!

Nearby is evidence of much older civilization, standing stones from several millennia ago.  The Kilmartin valley here is full of such ancient evidence, though it is most spectacular on Orkney, which we will visit later.

Our next stop was the tiny Isle of Iona, site of St. Columba's early church and abbey in about the year 563 A.D.  I had been reading a lot of novels on Scottish history, including the life of St. Columba (or Colmcille), so I was well aware of this; the story is quite an inspiration for me.  St. Columba is given credit for bringing Christianity to Scotland; his biography written two centuries later by one of his successors, is one of the earliest writings on the early life of the area now known as Scotland.

Iona became an important centre for Celtic art as well as religion, with carved stone crosses being notable.  "Celtic' crosses (with the ring around the centre) originated on Iona.  Only a few remain, after Vikings destroyed most of them during their first raid in 795 A.D.  

One of the 'illuminated' pages of the Book of Kells.

In addition illustrated manuscripts were produced, including one of the most famous, the Book of Kells, now on display in Dublin and later said to be 'the most precious object in the Western world'.

Iona is also the burial place of at least 49 Scottish kings from the early middle ages, including MacBeth (yes, there really was a real MacBeth).  The 'Street of the Dead', along which funeral processions walked, is visible in the foreground of the picture of the Abbey above.

I should pause for a moment and say a little about this, our first trip, taken with our daughter and a friend, both teenagers.  Here they are standing among the old stone walls of the nunnery on Iona, established several centuries after the abbey.  We landed in Glasgow and drove north, eventually completing a giant circle through the highlands and back down to Edinburgh.  In the process we were inspired to visit again at the earliest opportunity!

Iona is reached by a short tiny ferry ride from the Isle of Mull, and we took the back road on our return, getting a quick lesson on the narrow one-lane roads of Scotland, as well as a lesson on Scottish weather!

It had been raining all day, but as you can see the sun did shine in Tobermory, known for its colourful waterfront houses, the next day after we enjoyed that horizontal smirr (pronouced 'shmir') the day before.

We took the much larger ferry from Mull back to the town of Oban on the mainland, to continue our journey north.  All the Hebrides, the western isles of Scotland, depend on ferries to get around.

Lots more to come!


19 comments:

  1. Looks like a wonderful trip, great photos. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice seeing the Scotland pictures. As you probably remember I lived there for 4 years back in the 70's. LOVED IT!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to these photos from your trip to Scotland. I have many roots there (according to Ancestry at least)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have liked to visit Scotland but since that isn't going to happen I'll settle for enjoying your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've not visited Scotland.
    This looks such a wonderful trip, I enjoyed this post and photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. This has to be one of my favorite trips ever. Whenever I tell people about it, I tell them about you taking us to Dunadd (although I have always described it as ... some random hill in the middle of a field) and how excited you were to show it to us and how that excitement made all our trips so memorable. I hope to get back to Scotland eventually so I can show your grandkids the same amazing places you showed me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing your photos and commentary, Scotland is a fascinating place. We've had a couple of Scots in our extended family although neither H nor I have a drop of Scotch blood in our veins.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also look forward to more wonderful tales of your Scottish travels. Loved this one, especially the illuminated page, and the Furry Gnome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely trip! I have led such a non-traveling life!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing. I am aching to go to Scotland. My maternal grandmothers people were from Orkney. My paternal grandfathers roots are in Edinburgh. We have family ties to the university where one of the colleges is named for our ancestor.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It must be one of the best places to visit as it has both history and geography.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The only way I travel is vicariously through the various blogs I read! Thank you for this trek through Scotland ... I look forward to seeing more of it through your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I look forward to more, FG. Love Scotland!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would very much love to travel there.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really enjoying this series. Thank you so much! C

    ReplyDelete
  16. thank you for the trip to Scotland! Your first picture is awesome, spells Scotland right there!
    I do like the picture of the 'not-so-ancient king' with his foot in the footprint. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've always wanted to visit Scotland and Ireland; even more so after working on my family trees. Your photos and narrative bolster that wish too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fabulous shots and a wonderful historical tour too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've never had the opportunity or burning desire to travel off the continent but I've often thought if I did I would like to see England, Ireland, and Scotland. I can tell by your words and photos I would very much like Scotland.

    ReplyDelete